2024 North American Eclipse

Feel like this needs its own thread. I’m in the path of totality and it’s already surreal. It’s all anyone is talking about. Every school is closing. Spare bedrooms are going for over $1,000.

1 Like

What cities are shaping up to have the clearest skies? Texas is looking rough, and I’ve seen partly clouds or cloudy other places I’ve checked (e.g., Buffalo, Cleveland). I’ve considered maybe doing a fly-in/fly-out if it’s clear skies anywhere, but haven’t found that city yet.

Most recent cloud cover estimate. Sucks for those in Texas, but I’m really hoping it stays clear where I am.

1 Like

Wow, not looking great a lot of places. New England certainly an interesting option.

Might drive to Watertown, either that or chance it in Rochester

Place to check timing by zip code:

https://eclipsesoundscapes.org/eclipse-lookup-tool/

I’m in the Finger Lakes, we’re gonna drive somewhere around Geneva or slightly further north and look for a cornfield or something. State parks rate to be absolute madness on Monday.

1 Like

Trying to decide if I should sit on the patio of my local pub or try to drive what would normally be a 20 min drive to get even closer to 100%. Even if traffic is a complete zoo I got all day to get back.

Niagara Region has already declared a state of emergency, they’re expecting over a million people to come see it.

I’m just going to stay home and be satisfied with 98% totality.

I should probably stock up on groceries. Hecl, maybe I’ll need to reserve a table at the pub.

6 Likes

Weird amount of WNY folks here. Will be watching from Rochester. Everything is shutting down - schools/colleges, I have no idea what to expect really but it’s weird that there is a state of emergency declared and whatnot.

2 Likes

It seemed weird at first, but 50 million people are about to descend on little bumblefuck towns that are not prepared at all for this.

Are they really? That’s the thing I can’t wrap my mind around. I keep hearing that hundreds of thousands+ are coming but I just don’t know where they are going or what they are going to do, lol.

I’m exaggerating, but really I don’t think anyone knows how many people are going to crowd into this strip of land, the traffic situation could get out of hand. It makes sense for towns to basically shut down and have emergency guys ready on alert.

I know a good 10% of Boston will go to Vermont. Gonna be nuts.

At least for WNY we’ve had bad weather forecast and there aren’t any nearby cities that aren’t also in the totality zone besides Albany.

Dang this comes so close to me . I wish I cared more.

This. If I lived an hour or two away, I’d definitely drive to see totality. 5 is a little much.

I’ve seen many partial eclipses, but seeing totality is amazing.

They have my forecast down to 35% cloud cover now.

The closer you are to the middle of the totality line, the better, particularly if it’s going to be cloudy. The sun is getting blotted!

Rochester folk should absolutely sit put and enjoy the few minutes of zenning out with the darkness of the universe. Clouds be damned.