2024 NFL Gameday Thread

All future Quarterbacks should threaten to sit out if they are drafted by the Bears.

Bijan lifting the wrong hand for a handoff is something I don’t think I’ve seen outside of WRs in high school doing it on end arounds.

How does the offense cause a delay of game when they are the ones who are on the clock to get the next play off?

by throwing the ball away

Still doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s a running clock so the play clock starts at :40 once the previous play ends. If Hurts spikes the ball such that it delays the refs’ spotting of the ball and the Eagles’ ability to get a play off, then they will receive a delay of game penalty when the clock goes to zero. Otherwise, they haven’t delayed anything.

Edit: I guess the rule book is pretty clear; doesn’t mean it makes sense to me in all scenarios.

(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down has ended, except after a score;

1 Like

Yeah you just can’t interfere with the refs getting the ball ready for play. Like, if you just taunted the ref like you were going to give him the ball and WOOP nope you don’t over and over you’re getting a flag.

Obviously the rule originated to keep the defense from stalling out end of clock scenarios, and has sort of morphed into another layer of anti-taunting legislation imo.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing, the refs will be able to get the ball spotted before the play clock goes to 0 unless it ends up in the stands somehow. Still making the ref run 25-40 yards to go fetch the ball and hurry up and spot it so they don’t get yelled at again for being slow is kind of a dick move.

REALLY hate kicking the FG there.

Falcons should’ve just played like that all game.

I like that the Mannings just root for the offenses.

1 Like

lol sirianni throwing the ball and keeping 40 more seconds on the clock

f that guy, and the security goon that fights players

1 Like

In Canada the first year there was the option, but now I can only watch Joe Buck unless I pay for an extra TSN option. It’s really hard to find a Manningcast stream too.

A few minutes ago there was no way Philly fans were thinking they could lose this game.

They should never underestimate the clown that is Nick Sirianni.

Falcons got bailed out with that pick, but they really needed to run the ball once in that last exchange.
First down from the 12 with :50 left, for instance.

Should not have given the ball back with > 20 seconds, and probably had like a 75% chance of losing.

I get what you’re saying, but I’m not sure if purposely not trying to score a TD - which running from the 12 or the 7 essentially is - is optimal when you lose if you don’t score a TD.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say giving Bijan a touch from the 12 in that spot was any less effective than the first two other short passes they threw.

Not saying kneel it - run with intent to gain yardage/score, with the added bonus of being optimal from a clock management standpoint.

He threw it short but I assume there were end zone options running routes, which is a huge difference in choosing to pass vs run IMO.

You are also unlikely to get a first without a TD there, so every down matters when you need 6.

1 Like

It’s a pretty advanced strat that only the real good teams with elite coaching, creative offenses, and a quarterback with strong game sense will do, but rest assured the best are thinking clock management in that spot, and your average teams will end up losing themselves a game that they just stole a couple minutes earlier a huge chunk of the time there.

I mean, the first down play maybe should try to stay in bounds, but you would still have to do somewhat hurry up there and then you couldn’t run it afterwards. I am totally okay with just going for the td and trusting your D especially when your opponent is not a hurry up team.