2024 NFL Gameday Thread

If he’s going to miss, it’s going to be wide right.

Butker has the power of the patriarchy on his side.

1 Like

I’m watching with the sound off. How was that Diggs catch not overturned to be a first down?

They pretty much never overrule those sideline calls. They have no way to definitively show the precise location of the ball as it crossed out of bounds since no camera points up/down the sideline.

They couldn’t determine so they tried to split the baby. Gave them extra progress and a great chance at a first down. But Houston didn’t take it.

Meanwhile tennis can map a tennis court accurately enough to determine a 100+ mph tennis ball position within a mm or less.

(I have not personally used but there is an app where you can hang a single phone at one of of a court and it can call all the lines, I’ve heard good review, at least as accurate as a couple of duffers trying to call lines while they are playing).

GTFO NFL. It’s not exactly rocket science. In fact it would be very similar to VAR. put a chip in the ball.

Wait, they’re not reviewing that Collins catch??

ETA: huh, I guess his foot was still down when he got it controlled in the hand. Super close though.

Teams have started taking my advice in those end of half/ end of gamr situations and are rushing 0 or 1 players like they should.

Man, it continues to blow my fucking mind that NFL coaches are so fucking dumb on basic strategic elements.

Bears have second and goal at the 2, clock is running with something like 55 seconds left. One timeout in hand.

Can run the game clock to under 20 seconds on the next play and still have all the time in the world.

OR, go hurry-up and two plays later score with like 35 seconds left and obviously concede a field goal coming back.

They run the play clock down on second down and the Texans are kneeling literally 100% of the time if you score. You have time for like 4 or 5 plays with that timeout, of which you really only have two left.

Utter lunacy, and teams do this shit ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

1 Like
  1. Marino
  2. Lamar
  3. Dilfer

Hey the Lions were able to run like 8 plays inside the 40 and the last 4 inside the 20.

They threw 0 balls into or near the end zone. Afterwords Goff said they wanted to get closer. They ran out of downs with 2 seconds left. Get closer for what?

You need an effing TD. Your guy might catch the contested ball. The zebras might throw a flag. It may my incomplete and you get to try again. You may get picked.

Outcomes

1. You win!
  2. First and goal!
  3. Rinse, repeat.
  4. You lose :(.

Never throwing a single potential winning pass is incompetence and a crime against the objective (you play to win the damn game).

And since I’m ranting, this is the SECOND GAME TODAY where an elderly old man on the “chain gang” is injured/dying on the field. Why must they be literally 90 fucking years old where a light breeze will destroy them but stand inches away from 300 pound animals destroying each other? A 20 year old can hold an orange stick for fuck’s sake.

2 Likes

And while I’m ranting. It’s 2024. Why do we have old men running chains in a billion dollar enterprise. Surely there must be a better way (technology).

Heck use slow ponies to hold the sticks. Four legs. More stable.

2 Likes

Pretty damn funny we independently used the same phrasing.

apparently I’m not as uniquely interesting/funny/witty as I think. Go figure.

1 Like

Nah, great minds.

Each team needs of a director of not being stupid.

The sad thing is there are probably like 5 people with at least some responsibility for game management-related tasks on every time.

And uh how did that one guy punch the other dude in the face and neither get a flag nor be ejected by skyref?

We can at least be thankful that we are getting a decent CHI/HOU game. Can you imagine in 2022?

Two awful challenges from the Bears tonight.

The broadcast showed like 3 replays of that before the next play was run. Who is the world is telling him to challenge?

1 Like

By my count that third quarter featured one non- penalty first down