2024 LC Thread: These are not the roids you are looking for

Is deGroot a common name? There was a kid in my neighborhood with that name and his dad was a math prof at CMU who wrote a book I really liked in college

13th most common according to wikipedia. Normally it is ‘de Groot’ but it is easier to get rid of the space when abroad as a lot of institutions don’t understand having a space in your last name.

1 Like

Neil de Groot Tyson is a famous astrophysicist.

3 Likes

Adrianus Dingeman (Adriaan ) de Groot (Santpoort,[1] 26 October 1914 – Schiermonnikoog, 14 August 2006) was a Dutch chess master and psychologist, who conducted some of the most famous chess experiments of all time in the 1940s-60.

Quote.com with its finger on the pulse of UP

lol this guy’s selling “10 Inferno” merch

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzmgpSQSpot/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

i browsed some manga at the bookstore chainsaw man, the way of the house husband, demon slayer & alice in borderland.

i found it hard to stare at black and white & hard to follow/care. is any of it actually worth reading?

idk, but Alice in Borderland and Chainsaw Man are sure worth watching.

2 Likes

Just a normal dude wishing people a white christmas

Highlights:

GOLD BAR, Wash. — In Snohomish County, some residents told KIRO 7 they feel unsafe going to their local grocery store. Over the weekend, controversial photos of a cashier at Gold Bar Family Grocer appeared on social media. The photos show a man with a KKK shirt and a loaded holster checking out customers.

The shirt bears the words “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas. Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.”

Some comments and interviews in the video are standard “We have free speech in this country so he can do that”.

Schools or someone really need to teach these idiots what free speech means. Yeah, the government can’t arrest you for speech (in most cases), but you don’t have any of those protections from your employer.

Based on the employers mostly “no comment” remarks, I’m going to guess that they don’t mind the shirt, or the gun.

ETA:

sounds like the cashier is probably a fail son related to the owners.

Is this store like the only option for miles? Is it in an area where pretty much everyone is a racist?

If no to both of above, why would decent person shop there until this guy is shitcanned and the owners apologize for not doing it yesterday.

I think its the only store in the town, the closest big city is Monroe, Wa, which is about a 20 minute drive.

Supposedly the store is overly expensive so most people drive the 20 minutes.

Anyone comfortable enough to wear their KKK shirt to work is pretty much guaranteed to be surrounded by a lot of like-minded bigots.

I have shopped at that store and the next closest grocery store in Sultan when going out on trips off highway 2. This store in Gold Bar is the last grocery store for about an hour as you meander along the path of the South Fork Skykomish River through Stevens Pass. A lot of city folk stop there for provisions before camping, skiing, etc. so I’m sure they price gouge. Wish I remembered prices but it was one of those times we split N ways.

It definitely was a very rural area, but it’s still pretty close to the the cities on the east side and only about an hour drive in no traffic from downtown Seattle. Probably a lot of racist people there, statistically speaking.

Nobody talks about the downside of remote work - not being able to wear your white supremacy shirt to the office. Lame.

6 Likes

No live audience for your flamethrower antics is a bummer.

2 Likes

They don’t want to learn what FREEZE PEACH actually is, so they’ll accept the convenient interpretation they are getting through their social media feeds.

1 Like

Every hockey player knows how deadly this would be so unless they find some evidence of a deep animosity between them there is no chance this was intentional.

It’s pretty normal at some Portland convenience stores for the cashier to always be talking about runes and have WS tattoos and the stupid WS beard

Even in the largest PNW cities, almost all neighborhoods have zero Black people. There will be one or two neighborhoods with a small number, and that’s it.

There’s a lot of organized WS groups around the PNW, and not just the police

2 Likes

Elaborate? I don’t know what this means.