2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

I’m lazy. I park as close to the door as possible.

I’ll admit backing in does usually take a little longer than pulling in (although if there’s no one behind you it’s pretty fast to drive past the spot then back into it) but leaving more than makes up for it and that’s when you pull in folk take 5 times as long and block the lane forever blindly backing out into traffic.

4 Likes

It’s much easier to back into a smaller parking space than it is to drive into a smaller space and back out. Backing in is standard in most countries.

1 Like

Whether backing in or not, I have been in a parking lot fender bender and

• it was my fault.
  • it was technically my fault but I dispute this.
  • the other guy was at fault.
  • J/k, you parking chumps. I have a spotless parking safety record!
0 voters

Don’t you have more control with the turning wheels at the front?

This is one of those things where new car tech has come a long way. I’ve got a wide angle camera and it sets of warning alarms if someone is coming from either side. Pretty neat.

Funny story about parking lot fender benders: backing out of an angled spot (so no option to do the LFS/serial killer back-in thing), I hit an old guy in an old Volvo. He was also backing out at the same time, but was a spot behind me. So my rear bumper hit his rear quarter panel. No real damage to my car, but I put a big dent in his.

Assuming I was at fault, I offered to pay cash for the damage if we could settle without insurance. Nope, nervous old guy wanted to go through insurance no matter what. Fine.

Turns out the insurance companies decided we were equally at fault, and I didn’t have to pay for any of his damage, which was probably right around his deductible. I bet he was thrilled when that news came in.

4 Likes

if you were at fault, doesn’t your insurance company still pay? when someone hit me at a red light their insurance company cut a check…

We were at equal fault, so I guess he paid for his damage and I paid for mine?

Yeah, I just googled and I guess I live in a no-fault state.

Don’t try this in a parking lot.

https://twitter.com/DallasTexasTV/status/1750982712041861325?t=otrHhqXkObz7PTgqJ734Fg&s=19

Replies say 20 minutes would be over 200 mph so probably not but still insane and reckless.

reminds me of those guys that race across the United States in like 25-26 hours. they average like 110+ miles an hour the entire way across the country. cool to think about for a minute or two, and then you realize how incredibly dangerous to other people that shit is.

Streaming free on yt, with ads.

I remember watching this at a drive-in.

Cannonball Run. Some dudes broke the record over covid, taking advantage of empty roads

Speaking of speeding, I’m sure you can imagine the discourse surrounding this new California bill:

https://x.com/sfist/status/1750337221918441803?s=46&t=k3YA52U8SV6oodQANcy20g

1 Like

I… kinda like that idea? My teenage self would blow a gasket but that probably just highlights why it’s a good idea

4 Likes

i think this sounds awful. i’d much prefer we just go to fines based on income. put a base amount or some percentage of income/wealth whichever is larger i think some european countries already do this. but that would be way too progressive and actually punish rich people. we much prefer regressive measures like this.

Put transponders in every car and fine them when they go too fast.

I’ve become immersed in urbanism over the past year, and it’s a fantastic idea, especially in California where pedestrian deaths are the highest in the country.

I can see this being amended to only applying to surface streets, which is fine.

This will die, the New Car Dealer and car manufacturer lobbies are way too strong. It would seriously depress new car sales because people are terrible and selfish, and it would be tough to enforce since old cars won’t have it.

3 Likes

Thought us over here in AZ held that ignominious distinction.