2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Call it West England imo

1 Like

oklahoma is Sonic incorporated.

I haven’t been on a plane in 20 years. I might be going from Salt Lake to Atlanta last minute. Any tips on how to get there and stay cheap for a few days?

I believe those are both Delta hubs, so there should be some cheap flights.

1 Like

Despite the hotel industry’s concerted efforts to convince me otherwise, in my experience Airbnbs are more comfortable and less expensive than hotels.

1 Like

Calling it Paris implies a sense on centrality and cultural hegemony. Pittsburg more the Alsace of Appalachia imo.

For flights, I usually search on google flights or kayak to get a sense of what fares are available (and how prices might change if I changed my travel dates by a day or two, assuming I have some flexibility).

I just did a few dummy searches and for your particular route (Salt Lake to Atlanta), the big money saver will probably be your willingness to take a connecting flight. Delta is the dominant airline in both airports, and it charges a premium that reflects that position. Personally, I tend to value direct flights a lot but other people would rather save the $.

2 Likes

Couple of caveats:

1. Check in/out are sometimes a pain in the ass
  2. If you’re only staying for 1-2 days, the cleaning and other fees really eat up the cost savings. Airbnb are better for longer stays.
  3. When you’re comparing middle to high end, I think that is where Airbnb wins (and I suspect this is what LFS uses). On the lower end, motel might be better and with an Airbnb you’re basically renting a room in someone else’s house who already lives there. That doesn’t sound like LFS’s thing, but if you want to go real cheap on Airbnb, those are the units that will be in your price range.
1 Like

The combination of iPhone 3D scanning and a 3D printer is capable of some wild stuff!

9 Likes

So which did you melt wax over an actual owl!

Thanks. Probably one or two day stay. I guess whatever I can get via travelocity or expedia or whatever will have to do.

I almost always book my flights and hotel rooms on Expedia.

1 Like

Of course, rather than just build an airtight gas chamber with a chair, like CA had, he’s going to be strapped down on the hand-me-down gurney and given the pure nitrogen through an anesthesia-like mask.

It’s like they’re trying to botch what should be a relatively painless and “humane” method of execution.

This is a small leak. Use expedia or similar for the search and then once you find the best price go to the hotel website and book direct. Should be same price or lower (if not they all have pricematch guarantees) and much less chance of reservation fuck ups and more accommodating if you need to change something.

7 Likes

Apropos of nothing, but if I ever bink the Powerball I am going to buy out Carl’s Jr and Ruth’s Chris and combine them to form the most infuriatingly named restaurant chain of all time.

3 Likes

If you do enough traveling, Expedia has a rewards program that gives you perks and credit towards future bookings that can add up pretty quickly. Haven’t personally ever found going directly to the hotel to be a better deal. Most hotel chains have similar programs ofc, but unless you’re in the habit of being brand loyal over making travel decisions based on location and price, hunting those deals may not be worth the effort.

Probably not applicable to Devil, who sounds like he never leaves his zip code, but I guess I’ll look into this the next time I book. I did sign up for Expedia rewards at one point but my back of the envelope calculation showed that it was going to take a very long time to get even one night.

The main advantage of direct with hotel vs third party booker is reservation fuck ups. The interwebs are filled with stories of people having these problems.

1 Like

I second this. You can almost always get hotels to match travel sites and you are then their customer. So many horror stories of third party bookings going wrong and the hotel being unable or unwilling to help, where if they were a direct customer it would be an easy fix.

1 Like

My sample size for problems isn’t big, but the one time I remember having an issue worthy of a call, Expedia was support was very helpful and the hotel was immediately responsive. Someone pointed out that so much of a hotel’s business comes through booking sites they can’t “that’s not my problem” the guest away. The guest will typically leave a bad review for the property, not the booking site, regardless of the issue and that’s something they wanna avoid, ofc.

Carl and Ruth’s Chris Jr.?