2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

It’s a bit of a cold spell here. 64 deg F (62 with the wind chill). That’s 17.8 C for my Canadian friends.

(It’s colder inside my house than it is outside though)

5 Likes

Heading up to my ancestral home and native land. Waiting in Detroit for a flight to Toronto. Red Wings playing on my bday Sunday. Will miss first half of Lions-Rams. Have confirmed that the game will be on TV in the room.

Wtf with the wind forecast. Had to bring the heavy coat. 50 mph gusts which is a shit lot of kph.

2 Likes

is it something like dir > directory_list.txt?

It was 37 degrees at my house two days ago in the early AM!

edit: I do not know what that is in communist temperature

3 Likes

Yes, but there are a couple of things that were new to me:

• If you navigate windows explorer to the directory you want to list, you can click in the address bar and just type cmd to open the command prompt in the right place.
  • There are easy options to get:
    – top level folders only
    – all folders and subfolders
    – all files as well as folders

Nice, I haven’t been doing any real work in a Windows environment for 20 years so it was a bit of a guess. I had heard Widows was getting a better terminal but never had a chance to play with it.

It was 37 degrees up in Norcal the other day and someone on the Bay Area subreddit made a thread asking how people deal with such cold weather.

We’re soft people.

3 Likes

I went up on a roof one morning in your part of town and it was icy. Real ice. That never happens in my part of town.

1 Like

My daughter texted that it was 36 in Santa Cruz today. She doesn’t have anything like a winter coat there, but some kind of coat/sweater combo is probably good enough.

2 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

I used to have a copy of this. It included lots of cool little utilities. It was probably the last time I felt like I understood the inner workings of an operating system. I wish I still had it.

I see a copy on Amazon for $4 + shipping!

Eta But even if it comes with the disk, what am I going to do with a 5.25" floppy? I do have a friend who would have a drive. Maybe it’s time to reconnect.

1 Like

chat gpt is good for all that stuff

1 Like

Try 50s in socal. End of the world.

This doesn’t make any sense at all. If I’m a company that can do this and I can serve only one of the following two markets:

1. Law enforcement, who needs to get a subpoena to open a phone
  2. Any random who wants to hack the phone of their possibly cheating partner or anyone else who wants it

I’d suspect market #2 would be larger and more lucrative, and I’d just forget about helping the cops at all.

The intrusive thoughts won and I got a 3D printer. Now I have to figure out useful things to print.

10 Likes

Hell yeah

1 Like

You could visit adamandeve.com for some inspiration

The market for #2 IS lucrative, but not exactly legal. So selling to the cops has less risk of jailtime, which is one big advantage.

What law are they breaking? I believe you. I just want you to tell me what it is.

Theft of the device.