2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Probably a CFAA violation

The same laws that make it illegal to hack any account you own like your e-mail and bank accounts. Don’t know the names of those laws but a company is definitely not going to offer breaking encryption an a personal device without a court order.

People occasionally post on the 3D printing subreddit asking about such uses. 3D prints have lots of very tiny nooks and crannies / gaps between layers where bacteria can hide, so they are not generally safe for…internal use (or food).

I call B.S. on this. If you wash the item well it should be as safe as any other food grade item. It’s not like bacteria lives more than a few hours on non-food surfaces.

I’m no expert, but my understanding is that stuff can get trapped in the gaps. Everything everywhere says you have to coat your print in something to make it safe.

That’s aside from using food-safe materials, but that goes without saying.

:cold_face: :cold_face: :cold_face:

3 Likes

Look like the guy running the Kelowna weather station is getting into the Moosehead a little early this morning.

6 Likes

RdpeGYK

8 Likes

Look for the coldest area on that map, and that’s where I live. I’ve got to get out of this hellhole.

5 Likes

Bacteria are pervasive and literally everywhere you are not trying really, really, really hard to remove them from. Your body has more bacterial cells than it has human cells, mainly in your gut, but also on your skin and anything else that has a hole to the outside. Just washed your hands for the recommended 20 seconds? Cool, they’ve still got a ton of bacteria hiding in the microscopic nooks and crannies on your skin (even if you also washed away a ton). You can boil a sponge for 10 minutes, and it still won’t be sterilized.

LFS is absolutely correct. Trying to legit sterilize a non-smooth object outside of an autoclave is a fool’s errand. Even something as smooth as as a billiard ball will still have mountains and canyons on it when examined at a bacterial scale, but something rough with surfaces that won’t get touched by scrubbing will never get really cleaned.

2 Likes

A few federal laws deal with unauthorized access of electronic devices (The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA)The Electronics Communications Privacy Act (ECPA)The Stored Communications Act (SCA)) and there are probably similar laws in various states.

Even if you’re not doing the hacking directly, designing and selling software that lets random people do it probably falls within the scope of the law (especially if you explicitly market it as a product that lets you gain access to other people’s data)

Thanks. I imagine that some has already thought of this, but what if our phone hacking company is marketed as a service for people who forget their passwords and recovery info.

I guess it depends on how credible your claims about legit uses are. For example, there are lots of legitimate “spyware” software that lets people track devices, see what websites are being accessed, etc. Most of this software, when sold legitimately, is marketed to corporate IT departments or parents who want to monitor their kids devices. Without doing much research, my guess is that these products are ok because the company selling them can clearly point to legit use cases by people who had valid permission to access the devices (and the company therefore shouldn’t be held liable in the situations where someone used the software for unauthorized spying purposes).

So, MAYBE it could work if you could show legit use cases that outweighed the illegal ones, but my gut says that would be hard for pure password cracking software.

Or living above a volcano

Growing up in Wisconsin, I could always tell when the temps reached a different type of cold when I would inhale and my snot would freeze.

1 Like

The second market is probably more legally dubious.

The problem is that’s a one off for public customers. Law enforcement subscribes and/or has seat licenses for unlocking. It would be a lot more work selling it publicly plus like I said it’s legally dubious. Law enforcement is going to oppose something they view as being used for criminal activity, especially when they can have it their self. I just think this is how the industry has developed and getting contracts with police departments is potentially an easier nut to crack then marketing to individuals.

They don’t know the brilliance that is shakshouka.

Though the photo you provided looks more like a Turkish breakfast minus the meat.

1 Like

are you connor mcdavid?

3 Likes

There is a scientist in the Antarctica on tiktok and it is fun seeing how they deal with the cold. I think they are good up until like -70 Fahrenheit…