2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

I’m no expert in nutrition, but there does seem to be some logic in having carb heavy food at the start of the day rather than the end of the day

Sure having starch for breakfast isn’t what is odd. The odd part is how does an Italian dinner end up as a Japanese breakfast.

They eat breakfast in Japan?

Sounds like a job for @Ikioi

Western food in Japan seems more common than in other Asian countries, where it is more often limited to chain restaurants/ hotels and random expat run places.

1 Like

Oh, I thought you didn’t know what spaghetti bolognese was.

Also, I played Overwatch with someone with the screenname Clovis last night.

1 Like

Excluding Korea, I assume. It feels like they take Western dishes (e.g. fried chicken, fried cheese, etc.) and elevate it to something even better.

1 Like

Where do I begin? First of all, of course Japan has all kinds of western food, and the Italian pasta I’ve had in Japan blows anything I’ve ever had in the U.S. out of the water.

I assume what Clovis is asking is whether serving Italian pasta for breakfast is a normal thing in Japan in general, and at a sushi place in particular.

The answer is that it is not common to eat Italian pasta for breakfast in Japan, and the only place I’ve seen it at a sushi restaurant is as part of a kid’s menu at a cheap revolving sushi joint.

Japanese usually eat either some kind of rice, miso soup, and grilled fish combo for breakfast, or sometimes opt for something like toast & yogurt. Cereal is not really a thing here. Thank god.

That said, on a rare occasion my wife will get in the mood to eat some kind of pasta for breakfast, but it’s rare even for her and not at all common in general. At most a sometimes thing and not an everyday thing.

As an aside, the most popular pasta in Japan, and the one I’ve seen most at breakfast tables is a Japanese creation called Napolitan–Japanese ketchup spaghetti, which was an early Japanese attempt at recreating classic Italian tomato sauce when no one yet knew how to do it:

3 Likes

Hehe. Not me. Sorry.

1 Like

Ya it was the breakfast part I didn’t understand.

Hong Kong version of pasta with tomato based sauce is just overcooked spaghetti with tons of ketchup based sauce. Same concept, they tried to do western food with ingredients they had post WWII and it stuck.

a macaroni product and tomato sauce was super standard across eastern europe in the late 1900’s, although i doubt anyone in this thread would recognize that pasta as spaghetti or that sauce as ketchup. the two ingredient food came into the kitchens a humanitarian aid parcel from the west.

I think they do this in the Philippines as well.

In Japan, the Napolitan pasta is a culinary mainstay. In addition to being a common home-cooked meal, it’s a popular cafe food, and each cafe will have its own spin on the dish. There are entire blogs devoted to it as well–bloggers who go around the country just eating and reviewing Napolitan pasta.

Unfortunately for me, as a non-meat-eater I’m still waiting for my wife to make me some kind of seafood or vegetarian version, so I’ve never had it myself.

yeah retries can be a concern in some models because they add to the complexity. (i once got into a lecture with programing nerds about whether to use pyrandom or /dev/random, and how unbiasing was immenented at the hardware level). made me more confident in it all

Don’t know from a programming angle, but if we intentionally alternate heads and tails up pre-flip then we wipe out all that particular bias?

So programming side we could make half of some randomized function round up and half round down?

Do you get Impossible brand fake meat there. Should be trivial to just substitute. And as far as fake meat goes it’s pretty good.

2 Likes

i have 2 boxes of captain crunch, 2 boxes of cinnamon toast crunch, cheerios and frosted flakes in my cabinet at this very second lol.

1 Like

No impossible brand here, but I did just yesterday spot a package of soy hamburger meat, in a corner of the grocery store along with a whole lineup of other vegan/vegetarian foods. Something that was unthinkable here even 10 years ago.