2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Third person ever just got the tetris crash, for those keeping score at home :+1:

2 Likes

Avoid the crash and complete screen 255 is the new holy grail.

It’s incredible to me that someone took the time to analyze the source code and calculate all the crash points.

1 Like

I thought that too, but I’m assuming it may not have been as bad as I thought since the code would be very simple compared to most video games. It was written over 30 yrs ago and it’s not a complicated game.

OG Tetris

Soviet game in ascii

2 Likes

How much longer will she last?

Looks like a 70s poop emoji, if there had been such a thing.

4 minute mile

1 Like

I am just thankful that we have Bill Ackman to establish a moral compass for our society.

Call it the battle of the billionaires. Ackman and Pritzker both sit on the Forbes billionaire list and are noted political donors to Democratic candidates. They are also both Jewish Americans and Harvard alums.

I get the feeling she’ll stay.

$400m for nets on the Golden Gate Bridge seems a tad bit expensive?

1.7 miles = 3.4 miles (both sides)

So around $225k per ten foot section?

The Netflix show about the origins of Tetris and the fight to get the copyrights to distribute it was actually pretty interesting. Didn’t know there was so much behind the game’s origin.

What causes the crash? Can it even be avoided?

Different things on different levels. Yeah according to the video it might be possible. But for example you’d have to get through the level that they’re crashing on w/o completing a single row at once, only multiple (which seems ridiculously hard, but who knows with these guys).

https://x.com/JHWeissmann/status/1743324354576851233?s=20

Just making every aspect of America worse because of guns

First off, FU Ben. Second, please take our current school president.

https://x.com/bendreyfuss/status/1743009460132434020?s=20

1 Like

The flipped coins, according to findings in a preprint study posted on arXiv.org, landed with the same side facing upward as before the toss 50.8 percent of the time. The large number of throws allows statisticians to conclude that the nearly 1 percent bias isn’t a fluke. “We can be quite sure there is a bias in coin flips after this data set,” Bartoš says.

The leading theory explaining the subtle advantage comes from a 2007 physics study by Stanford University statistician Persi Diaconis and his colleagues, whose calculations predicted a same-side bias of 51 percent. From the moment a coin is launched into the air, its entire trajectory—including whether it lands on heads or tails—can be calculated by the laws of mechanics. The researchers determined that airborne coins don’t turn around their symmetrical axis; instead they tend to wobble off-center, which causes them to spend a little more time aloft with their initial “up” side on top.

4 Likes

So the strategy is to watch the flipper then call it in the air.

Incredible headline writing:

Scientists Obliterate Illusion with Outrageous Experiment. You Won’t Believe What Happens Next

1 Like

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1743588228328784336

I’m not sure how the experiment was outrageous; when you flip coins as people normally do, the outcome isn’t exactly mathematically 50/50 like most people might expect. Generating truly uniformly distributed random numbers is extremely difficult! This isn’t a new finding but it’s a clean demonstration of how even something we consider totally unbiased isn’t.