2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

i am not. that said since you’re being a smart ass, one black teenager lives with me half the time and another is here most weekends.

situation had nothing to do with me, so i’d prefer to interact with the cops as little as possible. what am i gonna add to the conversation? also my dog was in the yard watching me, i’d also prefer he wasn’t shot bc he wanted to sniff a cop’s leg.

3 Likes

I probably wouldn’t call the cops because they’re scary but maybe there’s equity in sklansky-lives saved from tying them up on paperwork for a few hours.

1 Like

The World Grand Prix (PDC Darts major event) starts now and runs through Sunday. It’s available to stream for free on the PlutoTV Fanduel channel. This is the only televised tournament that uses the double-in format to my knowledge. The 17-year-old prodigy is a slight favorite to ship (7/2).

2 Likes

My guess is if they find out the driver or some other employee is involved, they’ll just quietly fire them and you’ll never hear a word about it.

Probably the thief calling you to set you up for another go.

Just kidding of course. I read too much of r/scams

The USA (or is that USE?) was pretty close to being an elite country. I wonder if any of these were close to passing.

3 Likes

That 1876 one to abolish the Senate is an all-timer.

“Whereas the Senate in particular has become an obstructive and useless body, a menace to the liberties of the people, and an obstacle to social growth. … All legislative powers shall be vested in the House of Representatives. Its enactments, subject to referendum … shall be the supreme law, and the president shall have no power to veto them, nor shall any court have the power to invalidate them.”

4 Likes

Who is your carrier?

I’ve seen AT&T reach out to people on reddit reporting the same incident. They got their phones replaced. The most recent instance was 4 months ago.

AT&T. When I called on Friday (about two hours after it happened) the person I spoke to seemed to think I would not have to pay anything extra, but we’ll see how that goes.

what is the market for stealing the phones? Presumably AT&T writes down the IMEI off the back of the box before they send the phone to you, so it’s basically impossible to actually use it as a phone, isn’t it? I guess if you were OK with wifi only but that would limit the value (even if its only on wifi I think apple can remotely brick it?)

1 Like

Yeah AT&T said they’d blacklist the IMEI so it wouldn’t be usable. I have two theories: 1) somebody somewhere has the technology to defeat the IMEI blacklist or 2) They sell the brand-new sealed-box iPhone to somebody for $500 or whatever and it becomes that person’s problem.

2 Likes

yeah it’s probably this

1 Like

Yeah I just looked on Craigslist and this could literally be the stolen phone: Apple iPhone 16 Pro Max 256GB Black Titanium Unlocked [NEW] - general for sale - by owner - craigslist

What I don’t understand is why somebody would pay full retail price in cash for a phone from some random on Craigslist, but a sucker is born every minute.

1 Like

Do you have the IMEI/Serial? Would be a fun trip report to meet up to buy it and see if it’s your phone lol

1 Like

They would pay full price because the phone is unlocked. I would be surprised if this was actually your phone, it is a lot more likely its getting sent to Mexico or somewhere else in Latin American where it wouldn’t matter if it couldn’t connect to a cell network. I have a co worker that will pay double what you’d get on trade ins for your older I phone cause he is selling it back where he is from in the DR.

I would be shocked if the driver was involved, so easy to figure out and wouldn’t last a long time doing that. Maybe if it was a contract driver there is a chance, actual Fed Ex and UPS employee drivers making way too much money to fuck around with shit that can easily be tracked back to them.

1 Like

Could they just ship it overseas?

In other stolen iPhone news, when I ordered the phone I added it to our monthly plan so it gets paid off over a period of time, but you have to pay the sales tax up-front. That refund showed up on my CC statement today, which is even more shocking than FedEx following up with me. I guess these companies just accept this stuff as the cost of doing business. They just write it off!

3 Likes

Yeah that’s great. Doesn’t create a moral hazard at all.

7 Likes

I’m just picturing someone at AT&T scribbling down IMEI numbers on pieces of scrap paper and getting pissed when the cleaning service tidies up his desk because now he can’t find anything.

6 Likes