2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Just found out that this semester I am teaching in the same building and time as Hillary Clinton. Sit in planned for this afternoon and possibly every week. Sounds like fun

2 Likes

Awww man, major party foul.

I assume unconciousness wasnt anyoneā€™s kink there?

1 Like

Sounds like you need to make an arrangement with a local eatery. Host class there.

https://x.com/EricLisann/status/1831382440868258236

For Clovisā€™ sake, thank goodness, lol. A gimp pops out of a chest and has is way with a napping Clovis and we are down one good poster.

2 Likes

The roots of this go back to Hilary Clinton. Porfirio Lobo Sosa took office after the 2009 coup that was supported by SoS HRC. He made a bunch of what some people call ā€œneo-liberalā€ reforms but others call ā€œlibertarianā€ reforms. These included allowing the charter cities that Theil et al started.

Since then Honduras has elected a less libertarian government which has tried to repeal the charter city laws, an act that has led Theilā€™s group to sue Honduras and has also been condemned by the Biden administration. As in, USA is condemning Honduras in support of Theil.

I feel like this is secretly the preferred outcome of all decision makers here. The charter city people get to recoup their investment without actually delivering anything, and the government has a convenient scapegoat for failing to improve living standards.

Apparently he can appoint a right winger who didnā€™t get any popular support as prime minister.

And 20 minutes after announcing his pick who says that pick is cool? Le Pen.

ā€œFrance needs order ā€¦ order in the streets, at our borders and in the state budget,ā€ Barnier said on X after the July 7 snap election, calling for ā€œthe right and center to ensure that French people are respected.ā€

No wonder Le Pen likes him. So, the left gets the most votes, the right gets the PM appointment and so Macron is?

I donā€™t know. I feel like the current Honduran government would want to scapegoat corrupt former politicians for current governmentā€™s failures without having to pay Peter Thiel for the privilege.

Why did every school pick a Native American themed mascot?

Seem like they should just naturalize all of Theilā€™s shit and not worry about the court case any moreā€¦

Manifest destiny?

Previous President (until 2022) is a convicted drug trafficker and not a difficult character to blame for stuff.

It doesnā€™t always work out so well for small countries that defy the World Bankā€™s International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s the point of being a 3rd world country if you have to follow 1st world laws, especially when mouth breathers like Theil try to turn your country into a billionaire theme park?

TIL:

The reason cholrinated pools smell like that isnā€™t because of the chlorine.

3 Likes

Itā€™s basically no different than the US govt buying off some corrupt Chief to sell off a bunch of his tribeā€™s land for his own personal enrichment.

But on the other hand, countries that donā€™t respect property rights donā€™t get much investment.

The TV guide at my AirBnB in Paris shows 30 channels at once. How has every cable system not had this for the last 30 years? This is mesmerizing.

Iā€™m hoping one of these will have the Chiefs game on if I wake up at 2am.

4 Likes

One of the countries that has had the most restrictions on property rights ever (land) is Singapore. The real issues on the liberal world order actual trade and investment security are around rule of law and lack of corruption - something that Singapore has been extremely strong on. The problem with what passes for Free Trade is often rich countries forcing things on poor countries and interfering with their governments all the time. Honduras got there because of CAFTA and coups and the drug war (because hard drugs are illegal), not because they wanted to allow indigenous people to communally own some farms.