2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

LFS makes some good points. He’s approaching it from the lens of “what do you want to happen/change in the environment” and that’s a very good lens.

Another more meta lens is what behaviour do you want to teach your kid.

My wife is much more savage than me, and I tend to be more passive, and I think a lot about how we are going to raise little rugby (due in 3 weeks) on this kind of stuff, and I actually want him to be more like my wife.

I think “aggressively defend yourself and your family” is actually a good value to impart. So I’m kind of on the go burn it down side. Go and make a viable and active point that your kid being a lesbian is completely off limits as something to complain about, talk about, worry about and that they can go fuck themselves.

2 Likes

What the fuck do office people do all day that this kind of time can be wasted

1 Like

When he could be relentlessly posting on an internet forum?

5 Likes

I got really bad news for the parents who don’t want their kids to talk to gay kids

6 Likes

I filled a claim directly with the offender’s insurance company this spring when I got sideswiped. Police report shouldn’t be needed, at least it isn’t in MN

Interesting, so you didn’t involve your insurance company at all? I didn’t even know that was an option

Yeah I had the other guy’s insurance card so I either called them or went on the company website and filed a claim with that info. They had me describe the accident and take a bunch of pictures then I sent them an initial quote for the bodywork and they mailed me a check. They skimped on the original check so the body shop I used got them to send another check to cover the full cost while they were doing the work.

1 Like

I can’t post at work because I’m driving or doing manual labor. 14-hour days are full, there’s no time to waste

1 Like

Office work doesn’t tend to be that… dense… but is totally draining in other ways…

Yeah I did it for a few months and then said put me back in a truck. Same company before, during and after that stint

From what I gather it wasn’t quite the typical office experience; for example I never posted on any websites in that office, but close enough that I guess I get it

1 Like

In my experience that sort of thing is not your choice. Your kid will inherit some personality traits of yours, some of your wife’s, and will learn the rest from watching you guys and how you interact with the world. Trying to proactively instill something like that is likely to fail.

I mean sure. But isn’t “watching how you interact with the world” what we are talking about here?

2 Likes

If his insurance knows it’s his fault they’ll be happy to deal directly with you. When you file through your own insurance and the other party is at fault your insurance will seek reimbursement from the other insurance (invisible to you) so they’re paying either way. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.

2 Likes

I’m at a high school football game and there are some parents (I hope they’re parents) who are very intense. Big mad over non-positive plays.

2 Likes

It may be that your daughter is too mature for the other kids. The 10 year olds’ parents may not want to deal with or don’t expect to have to deal with dating and partners. It may not be the same sex angle at all. I was a lot more sophisticated at 14 than I was at 12 as a male and females mature sooner so I could see a 12 yo being too sophisticated for 10 yos. Or they’re homophobic jerks.

1 Like

The idea of having a 12 y/o with 10 y/o’s just strikes me as a bad idea. That’s like 7th vs 5th grade.

4 Likes

I would talk to your daughter first. Maybe discuss a couple of options and possible outcomes and see which might help her feel most supported. Let her know you are willing to burn it all down if that’s the case. My guess is she will say lol fuck that noise if they’re trying to kick her off for being a lesbian. It was already a compromise to play with younger kids.

I’m sorry this is happening. Both complaints are nonsense.

1 Like

I’m just saying in general kids are going to copy what you do, not do what you tell them to do.

As much as I want my kids to not grow up with my personality flaws, I have to do it by fixing myself and living a better example rather than telling them don’t do what I do.

1 Like

Ah. I get you. I think we agree.

This is not about me trying to tell little rugby to be more fierce, this is about trying to find ways to show him that (or more likely, to stay out of the damn way while Mrs Rugby shows him)

1 Like

If it was the other guys fault than you should go through his insurance company. If you go through your own, you will be (at least initially before they get the money back from his insurance company) subjected to paying your deductible.

1 Like