2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

We used to ride our bikes to the mall five miles away when I was like 9.

2 Likes

Iā€™m finishing up 4.5 hours of mandatory DEI training and now I have to vote Trump. Sorry libs but you left me no choice.

7 Likes

Seriously 4.5 hours? WTF?

Over three days. Ask me about holding space for empathy.

Are you noticeably less racist now?

Iā€™m curious why you would ask that. Is there something going on in your life I should know about?

7 Likes

My trainer has me doing deadlifts, so Iā€™m salty and my glutes hurt.

3 Likes

Deadlifts suck, but along with squats they are probably about the best all around lift.

The DEI thing seems excessive, but l think Suzzer works work for a university, so some overkill is expected.

Is empathy expected when giving grades?

Holy shit same here

1 Like

Conservatives do have a solid line of attack with the diversity stuff, everyone hates sitting through yearly workplace sensitivity training, and itā€™s not obvious how much it really helps. 4.5 hours would drive me mental.

It has less than zero effectiveness with people who need it, just a total waste of time and a huge grift for the people selling this nonsense

i keep a pack of these in the feezer, ridiculously good.

1 Like

It was a lot less onerous than I expected. Not being in person helps immensely.

1 Like

Iā€™ve attended multiple DEI trainings that were obviously effective.

People are naturally empathetic and respond to stories.

So sessions were trans people come and talk about their experiences, for example, are extremely effective. For many of the attendees it was the first trans person they got to interact with.

Just because your company is running performative bullshit doesnā€™t mean it has to be. Additionally, frequently itā€™s performative because thatā€™s what the bosses want. I follow a lot of DEI leaders on LinkedIn and they are frustrated about having their hands tied all the time.

5 Likes

Iā€™m cynical but I do begrudgingly agree these kinds of workplace training things are worthwhile at some level. At least it plants a flag and lets people know offensive bullshit isnā€™t going to be okay.

I remember in grad school the sensitivity training we got was a long discourse on not sleeping with the undergrads.

2 Likes

Ours was so vague Iā€™m not sure what you could take from it other than ā€œBe empathetic, someone might be going through some shit you have no idea about.ā€

Maybe thatā€™s why it went down easy. Just sharing about times someone annoyed us and how we dealt with it.

One guy spent a half hour working through the time someone yelled at him because he brought his dog into the grocery store. Important caveat is this is West Hollywood where people take their dogs literally everywhere.

I was like you go dude, great story, this is killing all kinds of time.

We used to have to go to so many BS in person meetings with our division and our whole department. Zooming is 1000x less painful.

The issue is that they will hire a DEI leads with great credentials who actually wants to change things.

Then they will come up with stuff like

• address bias in senior management hiring so we donā€™t just have cis white guys making decisions

• investigate structural barriers to mothers returning to the workforce and advancing their careers

• offer paid transition leave to support Trans folks

• entrench flexible working to allow working parents to better participate in the workforce

Then the bosses be like

91ufbs

2 Likes

2 Likes

If my university doesnā€™t do all that stuff sufficiently then nobody does.

Donā€™t move to or work for a company based in Boulder. It is serious business here.