2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Not sure how many people read the article but it seems the point was the airline made a mistake (or at least, may have), banned her without an investigation and then unbanned her. Also, she made $1k+ posting about it on social media.

https://x.com/dog_rates/status/1823872987608629471

8 Likes

https://x.com/nikicaga/status/1823552006553792932

1 Like

This video is breaking my small brain because my two dogs are named Motley and Waylon.

6 Likes

Are they professionals?

Why does that matter? At least in Canada it is illegal to have someone work hours they are not paid for unless they are salary.

I could be wrong but I think that courts are generally pretty respectful of collective bargaining agreements, which is where this pay structure come from.

Aren’t there regulations around how many hours can be worked by airline crews as well, I imagine those are based on the time in air and make it difficult to change?

Yes, that’s definitely true, and all part of the collective bargaining package. So it’s not really as simple as “airline crews don’t get paid for that time” and then everything else is just like regular employment, in theory at least they’re giving that up in exchange for something else.

1 Like

In the US if you are a professional, then you are often (but not necessarily) on salary, and there are all sorts of things that may be related to your job that you are not directly paid for. I don’t think that protections for hourly wage workers apply to professionals. If the professional is not salaried, then often there will be some sort of contract which works out the details.

I guess if there is some lawbro around that has knowledge of this stuff, they can clear it up for us.

If this was collectively bargained for, I have to assume that they’re not idiots and got a high enough wage for flight hours to offset their waiting in the vast majority of cases. Obviously there will be some outliar cases where the flight attendant will get fucked, but it seems completely reasonable that they would be willing to accept a risk of that for a higher inflight wage.

The example I was reading they were paid hourly not salary.

Professionals can enter in to an hourly payment agreement, but they still (I think) wouldn’t be afforded the same protections as someone working minimum wage at McDonalds.

The fudging is in what actually counts as work. Lots of hourly jobs have some kind of unpaid time they call training or waiting or something.

Yeah, I get that. My point was that if someone is a professional you can worry less about legal problems when fuck them over on those kinds of things than if they are not a professional.

OK the thing here that jumped out at me is

The family of “Dateline” correspondent Keith Morrison, who is Perry’s stepfather, said in a statement that they welcomed the news of the law enforcement action.

1 Like

Absolutely huge Keith Morrison fan and I hope he covers this story for his Dateline swan song.

1 Like

3 Likes

There are federal regulations limiting both time in the air and time on duty with required rest periods. They’re unrelated to pay. You have to comply with the federal regulations obviously then your pay is determined however you’ve agreed to be paid.

1 Like

What is this? Letters to Penthouse

1 Like