2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

This might have been the source.

1. Regular days has pretty boring food. You don’t want to impose that food somebody elses child. So Scandinavians will mainly ask if a child wants to join there is a specially nice food like taco or pizza. You don’t want to push liver and boiled potato on your child’s friend. Otherwise they are put in a predicament to say yes to something they don’t want just to be polite.

LOL

Sounds like there might be something to this, even if it’s not common.

I don’t know how to put this any more delicately, but that article is trolling you. Anyone can put anything on the internet. Liver and boiled potato? lol, come on man.

After this we will have to agree to disagree I think, but again, it’s a made up thing that is not true. No one I’ve ever spoken to has heard of this happening to anyone ever, when it was discussed the first time it went viral.

Sure. It’s not like I know. But you have to admit it seems pretty unlikely that all of this is one giant elaborate troll. That Independent article says it was more common 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Here’s the NY Times:

Hakan Jonsson, a food studies professor at Lund University in Sweden, said sharing food is the foundation of culture, so he understands why other people might see this custom as a “hostile” act. A few years ago, he was part of a program to discuss Swedish cultural customs with immigrants and this practice was “regularly mentioned” as being very strange.

Zara Larsson, a Swedish pop star, said the custom was “peak Swedish culture,” though her family and many others she knew did not practice it.

Ms. Larsson said on Twitter that at the homes of people who did practice it, she would either be told to go home at mealtime or be left in the friend’s room, something she said was “kinda fun because that gave me time to snoop around.”

You know Fabian is Scandi, right?

Yes of course. But are we really saying that there’s absolutely nothing to this and The Independent and the NY Times got 100% trolled, including by a food studies professor at Lund University in Sweden and a Swedish pop star?

It seems like a lot of these people’s families didn’t do it, and some of them only heard about it. So it’s seems possible to grow up in some area of Scandinavia where it’s uncommon and unheard of, especially depending on the era.

Who knows how many people the NYT had to ask before they found people who had experienced it.

Dunno. Maybe it’s just compared to the cultures where they seem to practically force feed you.

Right. It’s clear that if it did happen it was no big deal and very hard to relate to from cultures where they have a panic attack if there isn’t 3x more food than needed when guests are involved.

This is a youtube of Fabian playing against top dominion player when online dominion was a thing. I do miss isotropic

Isotropic dominion was gold

2 Likes

Even before all this talk of Sweden, I’ve had this song stuck in my head for days:

Someone want to explain that?

Yeah those were the days. Very fun game, been many years since I played it now though.

1 Like

I was on an ABBA kick a few weeks ago, so I’m with you.

They don’t want you to stay overnight but they’re too passive aggressive to say no so they just let you over but don’t offer food.

1 Like

Turns out I get a second mask for free in the first 30 days, one phone call and they’re shipping me a nasal pillow mask. Excited to try it, I’m getting a ResMed P30i.

2 Likes

I use one like that. The only issue is sometimes it can scratch the top of your head because there’s no padding up there, at least with the older model I have. That one may have it. I put a piece of cloth between it and my head and have no issues

1 Like

Good note, thanks. My head is shaved so that would definitely be an issue.

I’ve had a pretty weird week, the type of week where you wonder: I hope I have a lot of time left on this planet, but I’m feeling less confident.

I’m being dramatic and it probably isn’t actually that dire, but I did experience vasovagal syncope twice. Basically, I slightly injured myself which led to a mega reaction that caused me to faint once and the other time I was able to get seated and calm down via breathing. As someone on blood thinners with a history of cardiac issues, the fainting scares the fucking shit out of me.

Anyway, before this week I definitely would’ve taken a few of those money pills. I’m not as sure now. :harold:

9 Likes

I’ve had that reaction to needles my whole life. In like 7th grade i fainted from a finger prick at the doctor’s office. Fast forward 30 years and i fainted FROM TALKING about a hernia repair. Just sitting, talking about the surgery with the doctor. It’s pretty funny, to be honest, at least my own experience has been.

3 Likes

Happens to me occasionally. When I’ve brought it up with a doctor nurse or pharmacist, they didn’t seem to think it was a big deal. Let’s poll it.

Have you experienced vasovagal syncope or a similar episode?

• Yes
  • No
  • This may be an anonymous poll, but I’m still not saying
0 voters

I’ve passed out after having blood drawn. Does that count?

I think it depends on why. My interpretation is that it’s a mental/emotional reaction. You could faint for other reasons after giving blood, too.