2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

I had something like that over Christmas. I had that familiar feeling that a big sick was on the way, major fever and congestion. Then after a day and a half it just cleared up completely.

Did you test for COVID?

I think so a few days later and it was negative.

Iā€™ve never tested positive. But if Iā€™ve ever had covid it was probably that time.

Interesting. I might test again in a few days out of curiosity. I tested on the day I was feeling worst and it lit up right away.

I got it the day I came back from a trip with the family. Lots of crowds and such. Interestingly, none of them are sick at all. Maybe the vax is working even better for them.

I just got back from a trip to see a ton of family with multiple parties. I was sure I was going to come home with something. But so far so good.

https://x.com/SmithsonianMag/status/1816964970497622473

Dogs really can smell fear.

1 Like

Are refugees getting work permits in 30 days now? Are they not able to find jobs in New York? Why are the overcrowding shelters still a thing? Or can they just not afford/donā€™t want to pay rent? Are there statistics on the percentage working/not working?

Shouldnā€™t it be relatively easy for the federal government to just get these people hired all over the country with a simple website? Chipotle #45677 needs 5 people, Chipotle #45223 need 7 people, etc and then they just get on bus and go to Nebraska?

I reckon that youā€™re not from these here parts.

1 Like

Not sure what youā€™re referencing here. But it is a lot tougher for people from countries like Venezuela who havenā€™t had much immigration in the past, therefore they have no family ties here. Jobs/housing programs generally donā€™t move very fast.

I assume that most are going to be doing low income jobsā€¦ which should move fairly quickly? There is a huge backlog for low income work. Every fast food place I go to is painfully understaffed. If NY has 50,000 migrants, it just seems like a drop in a bucket.

It takes a while to save up to pay rent somewhere, or wait for a govt subsidized place to come through.

Especially if you piss yourself.

It can take years and years to get government subsidized housing if you are one of the lucky ones, exactly.

No. Average asylum application is almost 600 days. After that they can apply for a work permit.

Over 200k have come since 2022 and 65k are in shelters.

Elderly friend (93?) has rented her whole life in Philly. Long time landlord recently sold. New owner raising rent from $700 to $1000. Monster.

1 Like

Thatā€™s still sounds really cheap, unless itā€™s in the slums.

Have no idea, have not been there. Wife used to work with her.

But she does go upstairs by dark, less risk of stray bullet coming through the window.

On regular section 8, yes. Iā€™m guessing (hoping) there are different programs for refugees.