2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Almost all software contracts I have seen are very clear about not paying damages if the software fails. The most I have seen is getting credit on your subscription if you had an outage. It will of course impact future sales but even that tends to be limited. Most CEOs care more about how you handled the outage than the fact there was one as every software company knows it can happen to them as well.

1 Like

I would think there would be some regulatory activity, or hearings at least.

If anything I guess I should be surprised hackers arenā€™t able to do stuff like this, because I assume theyā€™re trying. Or maybe thereā€™s just more money in holding small citiesā€™ and school districtsā€™ information for ransom.

Do you have servers? They can have serious vulnerabilities that can create huge malpractice liabilities if hackers can get access to them. It happened to our firm right as we were transitioning to the cloud. Thankfully important parts or our system had already been switched over so we werenā€™t completely shut down.

yes but itā€™s really, really hard to get a software company to pay for those damages. Most successful lawsuits Iā€™ve seen involving software are connected to failure to deliver (sometimes itā€™s software, sometimes services/projects), not damages caused by the software itself.

To be able to do this as a hacker you need access to the private keys that control the ability to push updates like this across multiple layers. If that happened then there would be hearings and investigations for a long time as that is way more dangerous than an authorized entity pushing a file with a bug in it. I am sure there will be some political grandstanding because of the impact this had but I think some of the data leaks recently are actually worse than this.

yeah in this case people buy crowdstrike because it helps them comply with various cybersecurity standards, and that compliance is worth more to most of those customers than an occasional few hours of downtime.

Turn on encryption on your documents. They are not save on your own machine either. Your documents leaking from your computer / e-mail is way more likely than them leaking because you store them in the cloud.

2 Likes

Aww man thatā€™s awful. Specifically the building not the First Baptist organization, which is also awful.

https://x.com/peytonyager/status/1814466323667136884?t=XT7gAzH_gYXx6weqbkbZjg&s=19

Godā€™s plan

2 Likes

Fucking hell.

Horsman, after an extensive review, concluded in June that Hemme was heavily sedated and in a ā€œmalleable mental stateā€ when investigators repeatedly questioned her in a psychiatric hospital after the killing. Her attorneys described her ultimate confession as ā€œoften monosyllabic responses to leading questions.ā€ Other than the confession, no evidence linked her to the crime, her trial prosecutor said.

The St. Joseph Police Department, meanwhile, ignored evidence pointing to Michael Holman ā€” a fellow officer, who died in 2015 ā€” and the prosecution wasnā€™t told about FBI results that could have cleared Hemme, so it was never disclosed before her trials, the judge found.

Evidence presented to Horsman showed that Holmanā€™s pickup truck was seen outside Jeschkeā€™s apartment, that he tried to use her credit card, and that her earrings were found in his home.

1 Like

dudeā€™s been hustling for a long, long time. time value of money and all that, good for him.

fucking hell indeed

Some of those cops and the prosecutor have to be still alive and should be prosecuted.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/jrawson/status/1814232925967089808

10 Likes

Reminder

1. The UK has its own democratic monstrosities.
  2. A constitution frozen in time is likely a bad constitution.
2 Likes

The problem is doing IT stuff right is expensive and small shops canā€™t afford to hire someone that can do it right, so you end up using big vendors who can meet all the requirements for security but because of their size can take out half the economy if they screw up. Imagine if this had been Salesforce who bricked every machine they ran on.

Related to Crowdstrike outage. This notice was on the Amazon delivery tracker.

Screenshot 2024-07-20 084831

1 Like