2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

For washes/dryers, speed queen seems to be the defacto buy it for life brand. With that said, we’ve had a GE top load washer and a samsung dryer for over a decade without any issues.

1 Like

One thing about refrigerators: be sure to clean out the coils once or twice a year. Our fridge got really hot around the freezer (not inside - hot on the outside) and melted some glue which, in turn made the door seal stick and eventually tear. Had an appliance repair guy come out for our oven and asked him about the fridge - he opened it up, cleaned out the dust, and it was fine. Fortunately, the seal still seals.

Started happening again, though this time, something inside was dripping, so I did it myself a few weeks ago and the dripping stopped.

It’s an LG we’ve had for 20+ years. Top freezer with ice maker, nothing built into the door.

I think this is common stress for folks in their 30s, have effectively had ability to research any purchase entire lives and when it comes to household appliances someone always has an opinion online that whichever one you looking at is the worst of all time. Would say by far the most important thing is being absolutely sure it fits well where you planning to put it

2 Likes

I might invest in a Consumer Reports online subscription. They backup @Fatboy8 ’s dishwasher recommendation.

We are remodeling kitchen and we had trouble picking appliances, a lot of them seem to suck. At least going by ratings and reviews

We went with Bosch dishwasher because it had some good reviews (maybe in Wirecutter? I don’t remember). We also went Bosch fridge because they had a skinny fridge, which we need for our small kitchen. And we didn’t want an ice maker, and most of the other fridges seem to have ice makers. I feel the Bosch appliances are on the pricey side but they seem to get good reviews. But we have not installed them yet so I can’t tell you if we like them

Why haven’t we installed them yet, you ask? Bc our contractor took a down payment and is now ghosting us. Well, not really, he answers emails, but we can’t get a goddamn start date out of him

I would not be able to stop myself from saying “Don’t worry, Detective Bosch is on the case” every time I start the dishwasher.

4 Likes

I have a SubZero from the 1980s that is an absolute tank. Needs some maintenance here and there but should basically go forever. My SubZero guys says that it’s a different story with new ones.

Heh. Not quite as bad but I had a flight that was delayed 30 minutes because a dude was taking a shit and we lost our spot in line. When youve gotta go you gotta go.

confirmed. have a pair that’s at least 15 yo and they’re both working great

That’s an important part of the appeal ofc

1 Like

For $5K for a stacked washer/dryer, it better be!

5k? Real? Lmao

Yeah I noped out of that one. I’m going to get an induction range which I’m pumped for. I’ve only had shitty apartment electric stoves in the past.

I like my Miele dishwasher, but my wife always sets it to express mode and the knives don’t end up clean

The house I bought has an old upright freezer in the basement. On the front, it says it is the Norge line built by BorgWarner. Apparently it was built in the 50s or 60s and seems to still work just fine but I unplugged it because it’s so damn loud.

I have a really old washer and dryer, still going strong. I’m calling for a ban on all electronic screens/displays on appliances.

I’ve also had my washer and dryer for 20+ years (Whirlpool) and while they aren’t great (dryer is not efficient), they still work. I’ve made two minor repairs to the washer - the lid switch broke and I replaced it and a plastic gear in the agitator broke, which I was also able to replace. Pretty easy fixes. The dryer’s lid switch is also broken, but it just prevents it from stopping when you open it. I have a switch, just haven’t bothered to deal with it.

The washing machine has gotten a bit squeaky at times, which I fear means a belt is going to go. I think that’s something I can fix, but it’s going to be a pain in the ass. Just waiting for the big one someday.

Speed Queen are not energy or water efficient though. to the point the lifetime ownership cost could be a lot higher than an LG even with repairs considered.

I’ve read enough online to completely avoid Samsung

True, we had a SubZero from 1990, replaced just before COVID with another one. It’s already had some minor problems. My wife insisted on a model with an ice and water dispenser on the outside, and I think adding that to the mix has been the source of those issues.

I would say that if you’re going to get a counter depth fridge with that kind of look, SubZero is probably the way to go. There are options that look like SubZero, but when I researched them, the reviews weren’t as good. Some were quite a bit cheaper, tho.

1 Like