2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

“If this (gravity is actually not constant but can fluctuate wildly) is true, it would be the most exciting thing that has happened in the history of humanity.”

“If this (Luke Skywalker landed with his tie-fighter in Manhattan yesterday and is protecting the earth from the new death star that’ll be within range in 30 minutes) is true, it would be the most exciting thing that has happened in the history of humanity.”

“If this (Voldemort mysteriously resurrected 26 years after dying and is set to take over all the world’s governments unless Hermione thinks of something really clever really fast) is true, it would be the most exciting thing that has happened in the history of humanity.”

Endless possibilities out there!

3 Likes

I just kinda clamped on with my teeth and held on for the ride. We mated and I’m still hanging on. Hope to not lose my eyes and internal organs though.

2 Likes

Close enough ofc, but these guys will tell you gravity isn’t even a force.

If you go to the article the numbers are a little different and it doesn’t say where they come from and it isn’t clear what the physical situation was so as usual :man_shrugging:

Didn’t click the article and not a physicist but why couldn’t downward wind and change of airplane nose angle accelerate something faster than gravity?

Or am I missing point completely

ETA- think I was missing point completely, they just didn’t like the “change in gravitational force” phrasing

Finally someone tested what happens when they turn off their cell’s Airplane Mode mid-flight.

4 Likes

Physicists like to make fun of us dummies. I don’t mind when they do it to Elon but they could be more helpful the rest of the time, imo.

In the science buildings at MSU, there were frequent posted notices of various utility outages-power, water, compressed air, etc.

Finally someone posted about a gravity outage. Something along the lines of (it’s been 40 years…)

On Friday, the gravity will be turned off in the building for maintenance. Gravity will be turned off at 8am and is expected to be turned back on at 11am

By end of business Thursday, please tie down large and/or valuable pieces of equipment. Small things may remain tethered by their cords. While we plan to gradually turn the gravity back on at 11am, please be certain to not be under anything heavy at that time. Thank you.

1 Like

https://x.com/shannonsharpeee/status/1796207755524743301?t=P1QrifwYT7ieD05RnEg7vw&s=19

1 Like

Finally a good joke

https://x.com/RampCapitalLLC/status/1795933192517521568?t=EpYpQJfYeziF7yobeK6hJA&s=19

9 Likes

Skywalker would have had an x-wing

6 Likes

God Bless America!
https://x.com/nmeyersohn/status/1796297084691431661

6 Likes
2 Likes

When someone drops a couple of things I like to say something like “Watch out, gravity’s pretty strong over there.”

Maybe I’m correct.

2 Likes

I think you got the math wrong, free fall at g for 4 seconds would get you at 9.81 *4^2 /2 =78m right ? So 54 m is not that crazy of an acceleration

2 Likes

You’re right, thanks. About 7 m/s^2, not 7 g. Forgot to divide by g. So about 0.7 g. I always ask myself if a result is reasonable but didn’t make the right check here. Sorry about that.

When I took numbers from the graph that was published, I got 1.4 g (I remembered to divide by g in that case, yay me). There is also a data file available but it’s probably just what the graph was based on and it only has values every ~3 seconds. I don’t think that’s good time resolution for this purpose. I will look at the file again later.

I was hoping the article had a better source for their numbers, like maybe flight recorder data from the plane or air traffic control or what the pilots reported or whatever, but maybe not-- they don’t say where the numbers come from.

Anyway, if good numbers ever are public, the peak acceleration will probably be found to be greater than 1 g. I believe that’s the threshold for what’s considered severe turbulence. Since we already know it was bad maybe there’s no point in all this but why should the physicists have all the fun.

2 Likes

https://x.com/robinhatch/status/1796337406041620853?t=R5X8Z0HyUokzgEls19Z8cw&s=19

From Wiki:
Colorado-style pizza , also called Colorado pizza or Colorado mountain pie , is a style of pizza made with a characteristically thick, braided crust topped with heavy amounts of sauce and cheese. It is traditionally served by the pound, with a side of honey as a condiment.

I would smash.

2 Likes

Honey? GTFO

4 Likes

Dudes will just fuck up a pepperoni pizza and say “Oh yes, this is Nevada-style pizza, our distinctive regional style!”

2 Likes