2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

I’m not going to lie, a squatter story in the paper gets my blood boiling like when the cops seize property like a winning poker player’s cash from a traffic stop.

I do not understand why squatting laws still persist.

1 Like

Is there a limit in your mind on how long a person should be able to own a piece of property unoccupied?

I don’t know. The stories in the papers aren’t about wealthy landlords who own multiple properties. They are often about kids who inherit their now deceased parents’ place having a hard time selling whilst it’s occupied.

Sounds like cherry-picking journalism that helps promote outrage. Maybe belongs in the media thread…

Some years back my dad had some squatters in a dilapidated house he was too lazy to do anything with. He would go over there and chat with them sometimes and give them permission to make various improvements. He vacillated for a year or two about selling the place at a discount to someone who would presumably evict them which was really upsetting. Eventually he sold the place for a song to the squatters who rehabbed the place and sold it a few years later at a 600% markup. Neighborhood improved, housing used, capital accumulated; something for everyone imo.

Meanwhile my grandparents senior restricted condo has sat unoccupied since 2008. Wish I could figure out how to get some squatters in there!

It’s not that uncommon. It happened in my family (wife’s grandmother got super ill, third party sneakily moved in without anyone’s consent) and it took a 10k payment to get the person out.

they’re constantly floating trial balloons for the next rage button when DEI or CRT or BLM or bathrooms whatever they’re telling the rubes to panic about plays out. They gotta have the next big thing ready to go.

2 Likes

JOE BIDEN IS FLYING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TO YOUR TOWN AND THEY’RE GONNA STEAL YOUR HOUSE WHEN YOU GO OUT TO THE WALMART AND THEN DO VOTER FRAUD ON YOUR MAIL-IN BALLOT

10 Likes

The LA Times has some crazy squatter story every few weeks - usually in some Hollywood Hills mansion.

1 Like

DON’T FORGET THEY’RE GIVEN FREE IPHONES AND HEALTHCARE ALONG WITH THOSE FREE AIR TICKETS!

We should make all houses empty for more than six months free game to squatters to take control.

1 Like

Hmmmm, should I pay money to read outrage bait?

Nahhhhhh

1 Like

Archive.ph is your friend. I don’t know if these count because each one is some weird scenario and most of the owners are super rich. Not sure if this is the kind of stutt that’s circulating and pissing off the hive mind.

I think if you stay in an AirBnB for longer than 21 days it becomes yours. What would the downsides of this policy be?

Wait, DN is right-wing?

I honestly thought he was gay the whole time. Figured he’d be the last guy going for right-wing conspiracies.

Should note that I haven’t followed poker in the last 15 years.

It’s more that after a certain number of days, you get tenant’s rights meaning that they’d have to evict you to get you to leave. And I think it’s 28 days.

If you look at most of his recent twitter posts its all right wing greivance material. Hes posted about this, DEI, trans issues, immigration issues, etc. Reposted Musk stuff agreeing with his garbage. Disheartening but true.

The constant barrage of right wing grievences on social media is very effective propaganda. DNegs fell for it and once someone falls for it, it seems to be nearly impossible to climb out of it.

Pretty sure he was a big supporter of Andrew Yang in 2020 so I don’t think he has voted Republican/MAGA yet.

My theory about these people is they have a weird need to be right about everything so instead of just shrugging this dumb bullshit off as clickbait for morons they craft some completely fake reason that all logically thinking people must believe or whatever and it leads them to support all kinds of insane proposals as long as they can justify it to themselves in some twisted way.

Isn’t DN Canadian?

Yes but he’s lived in Vegas forever and got his American citizenship a while back.