2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Yeah I doubt plumbing has changed much. My uncle was a COBOL programmer in 1974. He’d still have a job. Lots of old systems that still need to be maintained.

https://twitter.com/CentipedeMouse/status/1769408672965304354

2 Likes

1st door.
I immediately thought of the get rich by going back - but then 100mill now is good enough.
But being able to massively improve the world by getting uber rich and influential while knocking off assholes before they become anything is too tempting.
I’d be wracked constantly about my family. Kids would not ever have existed. I’d probably track down my awesome wife anyway at some point and try and woo her - but w 50 years of extra wrinkles she might not be interested.
[Hope my kids don’t see this]

2 Likes

Pretty much everything you can do on a computer today was demonstrated in 1968. Before, if you count science fiction.

Have a feeling that 50 years into the future is going to be a massive disappointment.

AI will run everything, maybe we’ll have autonomous driving, but everyone will be lost in their own Vision Pro universe (though it’ll probably be contact lenses by then), and society will be violent, unstable, and miserable.

1 Like

Smaller time frame, but I’m 30 years older than my kids (30 and 32 years older, technically). My parents and I have the same age gap. I’ve done a lot of those “back in my day” tales and told my kids that things were much less different for me at their age compared to them now than it was for my parents as teenagers compared to me when I was a teenager.

60’s to 90’s is much different than 90’s to now. Internet and smart phones is the biggest change. And even in the 90’s, we had “pre-internet” and early internet.

And happy 80th to my dad today.

4 Likes

I don’t have kids, but I’m pretty sure parents have been telling kids that for as long as parents have written down human history.

I agree with you, and think it’s true, due to the acceleration of the pace of technological change we’ve seen in our lifetimes.

Wouldn’t acceleration mean that the 2020s are more different than the 90s than the 90s are than the 60s?

1 Like

Why do you think it hasn’t?

As if our planet’s ecosystem will still be habitable in 50 years, be serious people.

3 Likes

For starters, it’s worth a lot more than $100M.

Depends on a lot of the conditions (take family?, arrive naked, terminator-style? stonks get to keep stonking?), but I likely just take the $100M.

To make matters worse, advances in medical science will mean you live another 5-10 years in this hellhole.

Taking $100 million now would be an easy choice for me. But say I went back to 1974, what would I do for money? It seems like most of my current skills wouldn’t be very relevant (especially if I don’t get to take my current credentials). Assuming we have to go through the door without doing additional research, I don’t know the outcome of major sporting events in the 70s (although I guess I know to bet against the Bills whenever they’re in the Super Bowl), and my hottest stock tips probably wouldn’t pay off until the 90s.

You probably remember more sporting events than you realize. I suspect that when you see the hype for an upcoming event it would trigger your subconscious to remember.

2 Likes

My great-grandmother was born in 1900 and lived to 94. Imagine all the changes she lived through. Mind-boggling.

2 Likes

I rented a blockbuster movie in 2010 near my house. I printed out a map for directions to get to Disneyland with my wife in 2006. I rewinded a VHS tape that said “be kind rewind” in 2000.

But on the other hand, the music… 30 years ago, the classic music that my parents listened to was shit like Blue Hawaii, now when I put on the oldies of equal age… its rage against the machine.

What would you all consider to be the biggest (or most impactful) change in your lifetime?

For me it’s easy. The Internet. Completely transformed everything about the way I exist (for better or for worse).

The Toto washlet is a close second.

Yeah Internet easily.

Second would be cell phones. The youngs will never know the struggle of meeting up with people pre-cell phones. I have no idea how we did it.

2 Likes

Yeah this was my first thought about the future option

Fwiw, they didnt have the internet back then. You could pretty much invent a resume for whatever job you wanted to do