2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Do you get to come back? Easiest choice ever if not. I wouldn’t travel 50 years into the past or the future FOR $100 million if I had to stay.

50 years into the future we’ll probably have medical technology to cure everything. So the choice is between be rich, be rich and know everything that’s gonna happen, or live forever

1 Like

Going to the future I stipulated that I could let my current IRAs ride and cash them out then. W/o that the future gets a lot harder.

Slow news day?

It would still be a no. The only time travel option I would think about is if I were single without kids I might consider going back 50 years if I were me at 6 when I got there, but remembered everything. I would never make my kids not exist for this though.

1 Like

Sure, but that’s taking a ton of the uncertainty out of the hypo. Who knows if your investments will still be worth anything 50 years in the future.

Is this just like I get dropped in the past naked terminator style? What are we allowed to bring? Like if I am just put somewhere with no clothes, no money, no family or friends, it’s quite the hole to dig out of and it’s probably like 5-10 years before I can really kill it in the stock market. I guess I could bet the Superbowl if I can get out to Vegas but I’m not going to remember much else. Plus they don’t make my cholesterol medicine yet and I probably won’t make it another 20 years without statins.

I’m something of an introvert but having kids makes any option that involves leaving a no-go anyway, but I don’t really see 1974 as being some sort of guaranteed great life

If you really want the cocaine business to go nuts in the 80’s, make sure Len Bias doesn’t od. Celts win a few more championships, MJ has another rival in the league and a ton of tough on crime coke/crack laws don’t get passed

4 Likes

Right. I would wonder about anyone with kids who didn’t take the money.

Yeah it’s a gamble. The same as you might land in a post-nuclear hellscape. But barring, that an index fund should do pretty well. I’d invest in Chinese companies too to hedge my bets.

You don’t have to go naked. Unless you want to.

1 Like

Imagine going from 1974 to 2024. Would it be hard to adapt? I don’t know have to think about it. Technology is by far the biggest obstacle. You could still drive a car. No long distance on phone calls might be the most mind blowing thing, even more than the phone itself.

I am going back 50 years. Then I got 15 years to make enough money to outbid Jerry jones for the cowboys.

4 Likes

I think the easiest way to answer that is, has anyone born earlier than 1974 adapted to 2024? I’d say overall yes, but with some parts of 2024 being no.

Spend 40 years paying for a pi to follow trump 24x7.

1 Like

Having sushi dinner right now. Deliberately didn’t get the shrimp nigiri for this exact reason.
Full shell if you’re crawdadding it up somewhere; otherwise just complete the job, please.

1 Like

Head-on shrimp is the best shrimp.

What did you do for a living in 1974?

I was born in 1969. New Year’s Eve 1974 is my first memory of knowing what year it is.

My guess is that computers, pace of life, and lack of cigarette smoke everywhere would be the biggest shocks to someone transported from 1974.

Now imagine someone from 1924 to 1974, or 1874 to 1924.

I imagine the only translatable skill from 1974 to 2024 is typing. Maybe something in the trades?