2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

lol California, lol anyone that married Kimberly Guilfoyle

https://x.com/modestproposal1/status/1762836595567202353?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

1 Like

Wonder what the Palins are up to

This is not the first time that Panera has lawyered up to argue technical details over what constitutes bread vs. bagels, sandwiches vs. burritos, etc.

Even though burritos are sandwiches in NY:

According to the New York State Department of Finance and Taxation: “Sandwiches include cold and hot sandwiches of every kind that are prepared and ready to be eaten, whether made on bread, bagels, on rolls, in pitas, in wraps, or otherwise, and regardless of the filling or number of layers. A sandwich can be as simple as a buttered bagel or roll, or as elaborate as a six-foot, toasted submarine sandwich.”

The department provides a lengthy list of “common sandwiches.” In addition to the usual suspects, the list includes:

Bagel sandwiches (served buttered or with spreads, or otherwise)
Burritos
Wraps

They are not in Massachusetts

Burritos aren’t sandwiches in Massachusetts

Curiously, the burrito is not a sandwich in Massachusetts. We know this because Panera Restaurant took its Massachusetts landlord to court when the landlord allowed Qdoba — a seller of tacos, burritos and quesadillas — to rent space in the same shopping center as Panera.

Panera had signed a contract with the landlord whereby: “Landlord agrees not to enter into a lease… affecting space in the Shopping Center or consent to an amendment to an existing lease permitting use… for a bakery or restaurant reasonably expected to have annual sales of sandwiches greater than ten percent (10%) of its total sale.”

Perhaps because the definition of a sandwich seems self-evident, the lease didn’t define sandwiches. However, when Panera learned Qdoba would become a neighbor, it argued “tacos, burritos and quesadillas fell within meaning of ‘sandwiches’ and therefore [the landlord] was prohibited from leasing” to Qdoba under the terms of the lease. It took its landlord to court.

The court ruled determined “the term ‘sandwiches’ is not ambiguous." Since “the Lease does not provide a definition of it, this court applies the ordinary meaning of the word.” Using the definition provided by Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, "and as dictated by common sense, this court finds that the term ‘sandwich’ is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans.”

And this guy is the “good” alternative to Biden

They obviously need https://cuberule.com

1 Like

Although this was initially appealing to me, I ultimately found it very unhelpful.

The biggest issue is that, even when the creator gets to provide examples of each category, he explicitly includes a sandwich in a non-sandwich category:

He’s clearly not one to be trusted with any decision-making authority.

2 Likes

The rules are the rules. If you want your sub to be a sandwich and not a taco, cut break the bread half’s apart. Although I think there is room to argue that a hinge isn’t the same thing as the side of a cube and there needs to be a 7th category with 2 consecutive sides of the cube for subs, hot dogs, and pita like objects.

Not sure I understand which example you have a problem with.

JFC, Judge John Hodgeman has already settled the hot dog issue, it is not a sandwich.

1 Like

The “sub sandwich” is not a sandwich - it’s in the taco category. Like, if you genuinely feel this way, refer to it as something without sandwich in the name. Like hoagie or grinder or whatever.

Slow news day?

1 Like

the Mcdonalds in my college area had a “late night” menu. which just jacked up the prices of most items for drunks leaving the bars. lines out the door.

but that actually took into account scarcity and demand.

Years ago I worked in Amarillo for a few months with folks who worked at the Pantex plant. It was the first thing I thought of, ghoulishly imagining Chernobylesque end-of-the-world scenarios, when I read about the panhandle fires…

“Since 1975, Pantex has been the U.S. main assembly and disassembly site for its atomic bombs. It assembled the last new bomb in 1991. In the time since, it has dismantled thousands of weapons.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/27/texas-nuclear-weapons-facility-wildfires-00143786

Well that turned around quickly

I imagine this just means they’re going to raise prices across the board, but drop them during “slow times”.

I hadn’t read the article yet when I typed that, but I just did, and that’s exactly what it is:

Wendy’s said that its digital menu boards “could allow us to change the menu offerings at different times of day and offer discounts and value offers to our customers more easily, particularly in the slower times of day.”

2 Likes

Wendy’s says it has no plans

Absolutely not. Games. We have games, that’s all. We play games. What if?

1 Like

This goes on for a full hour:

https://x.com/orikron/status/1762471224263803205?s=20

4 Likes

https://x.com/TheUnshored/status/1762861379055231254?s=20

5 Likes

So last night I saw The National at Riverstage in Brisbane with a friend. Today we are flying to Sydney to meet with our girlfriends and go see them again there tomorrow night. Boarded the plane and who should be sitting up the front of it but… The National.

12 Likes

Holy shit, they’re pilots too?

10 Likes