2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Not if you are not into her music are dating someone who is. I would say her music is only ok but I give her mad props for how much joy she brings her fans. It’s pretty amazing.

2 Likes

I feel like I was always told not to use hot water because bacteria could grow in your hot water heater if you don’t have it set hot enough to kill the bacteria.

This isn’t really true. Every single DNA damage event, even if repaired, is an opportunity for mis-repair, and thus mutation and potentially cancer (even if many such mis-repair events result in cell death, whether apoptotic or necrotic). Radon is especially bad, because it will decay into polonium, which can hit you with some really nasty alpha decay, and then into lead, which, even when in a stable isotope, will catalyze double strand breaks in your DNA, which is the most error-prone type of DNA damage.

You can take some cold comfort in knowing that between cosmic rays and UV light, you’re getting bombarded with thousands of DNA damage events per cell per day without dying (most of these are ionizing an electron that then spontaneously rejoins the atom it left without the need for repair, but still, each event is a risk of catastrophe), which is more than what a low dose of Radon might hit you with on its own.

As far as the solubility of lead in hot vs cold water, the difference in solubility of lead chloride or lead nitrate at 20 C vs. 50 C (typical hot water tap range) is less than a factor of 2, more like 1.5. Sure, that’s technically worse, but, like, it’s pretty unlikely that you’re going to be crashing appreciable levels of lead out of solution by going with the colder water, and if you are, you’re already fucked.

2 Likes

T Swizzle is the biggest thing since The Beatles, it’s a little weird if you don’t know a song or two.

https://twitter.com/lilstinkfreak/status/1760127563957928264

4 Likes

20240110_015149

3 Likes

By name, or have you tried listening to a handful of her biggest hits and not recognized anything? She’s big enough that there’s a pretty good chance you’ve heard a number of her songs without knowing they’re T Swift songs.

It’s quite possible I’d recognize songs of hers without knowing they were hers, though I listen to very little contemporary pop music these days, so even that might be a stretch.

Apparently ChatGPT is having a meltdown

https://x.com/seanw_m/status/1760115118690509168?s=20

1 Like

Levels of lead in the blood of USian Children

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JoycePainter10/status/1760187389635404239

Rut roh

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/geo_anima/status/1760134535130333208

We had a few friends fly in from Manila to go her concert in Melbourne.

Somehow the tiktok algorithm figured out I had a passing interest and I’ve been getting fed feel-good vids from the concert for a week.

Not hating it. I’ll be honest.

1 Like

This is the one Taylor Swift song I know. Opening theme song from the Japanese TV show Terrace House.

1 Like

You can’t watch that kid get the 22 hat and not feel happy.

1 Like

Anyone else think the Beatles were really overrated? Many of their songs really irritate me. White album ok…

Edit: link to an ig that collects copies of the white album

2 Likes

Reminder: There are six Beatles. Here they are in descending order of badassness:

1. George
  2. John
  3. Paul
  4. Stu
  5. Pete
  6. Fucking Ringo

Thanks Wookie. I admit I was spicy about doing the radon remediation plus the advertising is way over the top. I certainly wasn’t up on the specific radiation type and the resulting DNA repair challenges. I still wonder a bit about the threshold selected but they gotta draw a line somewhere.

The lead thing does seem pretty oversold for everyday concern. I would be extra cautious with baby bottle water though. I see their are whole systems on line that provide water on the ready at the desired temp.

yeah those use plastic pipes so you’re just getting more microplastics, not lead, so it’s no problem

1 Like

Should I be annoyed my childhood is barely on that chart?

1 Like