2023 NFL Gameday Thread: SUPER refBOWL!

If this pic is real you should see a doctor. Blood pressure numbers are concerning.

eta: not just concerning but a possible emergency.

Reading the rule the dispositive fact should be

Impossible to tell this from the TV replays I’ve seen. You really just have to rely on you hatred for this team or that team, or you current betting interest.

Yeah, the first part is basically impossible to tell. Any arm motion could be conceived as attempting to throw to an eligible receiver. I think it mostly exists to account for times when the QB is being taken down beyond the point where they could reasonably start an accurate throw to a receiver and are just flailing to avoid a sack. That’s grounding. Here Burrow was still upright and pointed downfield when started his arm motion. So not grounding by this metric.

The second part is a judgment call. Did the contact significantly affect the throw? Well, one could argue that not many people can withstand contact from a 300lb lineman and not be affected somewhat. In this frame the ball is still in Joe’s hand. #99 hitting him on his left I think you could say wasn’t a significant throw affecting hit. NFL QBs routinely make throws while absorbing that level of contact. But the guy on his right mostly obscured by the goalpost is going to hit Joe up high in his right arm at this exact moment and plant him into the ground. Maybe if you Zapurder’d this from another angle you will see that Joe altered his arm angle to avoid the contact, not because of it, and the grounding call was legit. But I don’t see it. Seems like a bad call.

1 Like

I don’t agree with this. I think Burrow easily could have been intending to throw the ball away here. It’s impossible for us to tell this but it’s easier for the guy on the field to see where he was trying to throw the ball and if the throw was altered by the contact. It might be a bad call but that’s only because the league is generally so lenient on intentional grounding calls. I see a ton of plays (including by Mahomes in this game) where I’m like how the hell isn’t that intentional grounding. Which, yeah, I know, makes this a bad call in some ways. At least an inconsistent call, which is its own kind of bad. Grounding/not grounding call always seem incredibly capricious to me but I’m usually on the side of thinking the league is too lenient.

There’s obviously room for subjectivity and I think what most people here are upset about is the inconsistency this subjectivity gets applied. I’m fine with saying this particular play and penalty were in the middle of those two scenarios. The problem I have is calling that intentional grounding when it was called inconsistently all game, as there were other times when both QBs threw off and it wasn’t called. Also, if that is intentional grounding on Burrow, I don’t understand the no-call roughing the passer against 95 there.

I watched the video I posted above on my computer now instead of phone and can clearly see Mahomes getting impacted by the defense on that throw. I would not call that intentional grounding, it seems very similar though.

I mean he had the ball when he’s being hit, that’s why it’s not roughing the passer. If the ref thinks he was throwing it to nobody it doesn’t matter if the throw was impacted by the hit.

I agree about inconsistency. They should just take the subjectivity away from it. If the ball doesn’t make it to the line of scrimmage and it isn’t near anyone, it’s grounding. Period, problem solved.

They want as much subjectivity as possible because then they can Calvinball away and claim they followed the rules.

2 Likes

We’ve seen roughing the passer called when the defender plants and lands on top of the QB, even if there’s been no throw.

The rule:

When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.

From the screenshot that looks like a lot of weight landing on Burrow. I’m not saying I think this should be roughing the passer, but we’ve seen flags thrown for a lot less this year.

1 Like

For sure

Your screen shot is a split second late. He landed mostly on his knees next to Burrows, and then rolled onto Burrows. Watch the above video at 15-20 seconds.

Not defending the other roughing calls, but I think that is a distinction here.

1 Like

But the ball bounced 7 yards short!

2 Likes

All this breakdown of the grounding call is dumb

Yes it was grounding on burrow

But it was another instance where the refs and the sky refs got together and fucked the bengals

When they didn’t fuck the chiefs or step in to fuck the eagles on an obvious no catch

It’s just one part of the riggage.

1 Like

It’s real but whatever. I don’t plan on living forever.

Lol

Do you plan on living till the Super Bowl

I don’t know. I’m not watching it.

1 Like

How can anyone say that game was not rigged LOL. Give me a break there were like 8 penalties that were bullshit and a ton of no calls against K.C. I’m never watching another NFL game again. LOL LOL LOL

1 Like

What’s the motive to rig, you stupid motherfuckers?

To make Rivermad man

2 Likes