2023 NFL Gameday Thread: SUPER refBOWL!

I haven’t slept, but I’ve moved on to the drowning my sorrows in food phase. Who here is afraid of an AYCE sushi lunch in flyover country for under $20? It’s that or veal.

1 Like

When Valdes-Scantling reached the ball forward to get the first down, should the refs have counted that at all? If you reach the ball forward and go out of bounds, then they spot it at the point it exited the field of play, or if you reach it over the goal line, it counts as a touchdown, but otherwise, reaching it forward and then pulling it back shouldn’t count as forward progress, should it? If he ran past the first down marker and then ran back behind it, it wouldn’t count as a first down. I saw some stories on this this morning. I hadn’t really thought about that last night when we were watching it.

I think it was ruled that his knee touched down and ended the play while his arm was extended.

Ok. That’s possible. Wasn’t watching for that either. Ha.

I don’t mind the eye in the sky

I do mind the eye in the sky used as a weapon to get the final they want

Bengals probably commit intentional grounding

No flag thrown

NY “he guys call IG”

Game 1

Eagles throw a 50 yard bomb on 4th down. Big catch right?

The reaction of the receiver makes it clear he didn’t catch it. If I was a coach and saw him start making the “hurry up and call any play” signal im throwing that challenge flag so fast

But to the point. Eye in the sky had 20 seconds to look at it.

But they didn’t. Because based on how the game was called “looking at you 7-7 drive with 3 SF penalties”

It’s completely arbitrary. Remember when the Lions were up versus Dallas and driving. Big 3rd down in the 3rd quarter

DPI called

Minute delay. Eye in the sky picks up flag ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Just blatant rigging to get mahomes back in the Super Bowl

He wasn’t down when he pulled the ball back

But this is another play that never gets overturned. Like ever.

Just lost in all the other riggage.

Let’s not forget the Bengals very clearly got a 1st down which was marked short and forced them to a burn a timeout before the half. Surely they wouldn’t have had a much better shot at a TD!

Yay the chefs in the super bowl again :sleeping:

but not before two straight weeks of Kermit Mahomes talking about his fucking ankle and “overcoming adversity” or whatever the fuck

Do you have any idea how much shit Eagles fans talk? You might have to hire a temp worker to keep up with the thousands of FUCK YOU posts from scum-of-the-earth Joe Sixpack nobodies for the next two weeks.

I barely watched any of the game, but I did see the Burrow grounding. Thought it was completely obvious in real time and was really surprised they didn’t throw the flag immediately. He was about to be sacked, he wasn’t out of the box, and he clearly just dumped it into the ground at his OL’s feet.

You are missing the context

If that was the only “bad” call no one is talking today

The reason this one was included is because they didn’t call it a penalty and the eye in the sky buzzed down

Then they called a penalty

It was one of 7-10 plays that went the chiefs way In a way that it was clear the bengals were getting jobbed.

Summary

1 Like

No justice, no peace!!!

right he was in the process of being sacked. That doesn’t give you a free pass to intentionally ground the ball.

I think there are two ways it counts - (1) you reach forward and then go down with the ball still out-stretched or (2) you reach forward, start getting pulled back while the ball is still out-stretched, and then pull it back. In (2) once you started getting pulled back your forward momentum is stopped so you get credit for where the ball is at that point - doesn’t matter that you later pull it back.

grounding calls are never instant, they always huddle up and discuss it and then throw the flag.

I’ve said that for years but for some reason the officials treat the first down like it’s a touchdown for some reason. You just have to break the plane and pull it back. It makes no sense to me at all.

Sure looks like he was impacted by physical contact. If I was to concede intentional grounding, it sure looks like there was a no-call personal foul unnecessary roughness after Burrow threw the ball.

This just happened to be the best quality video I could find of this, but it also highlights a blatant no-call intentional grounding against Mahomes on their winning drive.

Obvious grounding calls can be instant. This one was not obvious. It’s true getting sacked does not give him license to just spike the ball into the ground. But, there’s this rule, found via quick google search:

Item 2. Physical Contact. Intentional grounding should not be called if:

1. the passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver; or

Seems like this is what they huddled up on. I don’t see how you could see that play and come to the conclusion “nah that hit didn’t phase him, he just spiked it into the ground to avoid a sack. Throw the flag.”

1 Like

Let’s look at two extremes of physical contact impacting a pass leading to a ball being uncatchable.

1. The passer is in the grasp of a defensive lineman and is in the process of being dragged down to the ground. He throws the ball mid sack and it comes nowhere near the receiver. This should be intentional grounding whether or not he was actually trying to get the ball to a receiver. Whether it was a “good faith” throw or just spiking it to avoid the sack.

2. The passer isn’t even aware of the pressure and his arm gets hit mid-throw. This should not be intentional grounding.

This is clearly in the middle. He was aware of the pressure and I think it’s hard to tell if it’s a “good faith” throw or not. I don’t know what the rule is but I think the QB having awareness of the pressure is sufficient for there to be a grounding call.