2023 NFL Gameday Thread: SUPER refBOWL!

The key is to fuck up against Detroit, who will never ever ever ever ever ever ever get a break from the NFL.

1 Like

Well they clearly had an awesome play. So going for 2 the first time seems pretty good.

But Campbell went on tilt and should have just kicked it from the 7.

If only there were eye in the sky refs in NYC who could correct this stuff, especially in one-off national games. Ah well, nevertheless.

The fucking cowboys beat reporters even knew it was coming: Dallas Cowboys vs Lions referee report: Zebras might help the home team - Blogging The Boys

If avoiding 10 min of time is good, avoiding a whole 60 is better.

If you’re gonna do that might as well just play the backups to begin with. Give your starters rest and injury risk reduction. If you put them out there for 60 min, may as well try to get the payoff.

The first decision to go for 2 is good I think. The 2nd one from the 7 I am pretty sure was just monkey tilt. The 3rd time from about the 3.5 I think is ok but not sure.

Goff’s terrible pass on the 2nd should have informed the decision on the 3rd.

Nah. He was just doing the Mahomes, I know I have a free play, so I might as well throw it thing. Can’t take anything from that.

Jaire Alexander definitely would have just entered the game on his own and not reported. Then afterward he’d say, “Reported? I guess? I figured it was pretty obvious I was eligible.”

2 Likes

Well you’d at least like to give one of your receiver a jump ball in that spot, rather than throwing it right into a thicket of defenders.

IMG_8460

IMG_0691

I hear the ref has doubled down despite pretty convincing evidence. They told you during the week. 68 reported.

League will do nothing.

3 Likes

lol lions and all, but I do think it is amusing that approximately zero percent of people who watch NFL games have any idea what makes a formation legal or illegal. Most know something called “covering up” is either good or bad depending on moon phase, and definitely that fat guys are not generally “eligible” until they are.

2 Likes

2014 wildcard game in Dallas. Flag thrown. Ball placed for penalty, 1st down Lions. Cut to commercial. Come back, ball is back at original LOS, no 1st down. Flag picked up.

FU Roger

IMG_0692

Yeah, I’m just saying I hate it from a meta standpoint. I think the Cowboys don’t have an amazing chance to score in :23, but I don’t think it’s unfair to put it at ~20%. So if you’re Campbell, your choice is to:

Kick XP: 98% chance of guaranteed OT=49% win equity
Go for 2: 50% chance to make and then hold 80% of time=40% win equity

I mean if you think your 2PC play is well over 60% to succeed I guess it tilts the other way, but so much shit can go wrong on a single play (including ref shenanigans as we saw), I don’t think you can ever assume that.

Also maybe I’m wrong and McCarthy tries to push the ball even in a tie game, but I think most likely they hand it off once and don’t consider doing anything else unless they rip off a >15yd run. Maybe drop their chance of making a FG to 3%.

https://twitter.com/SportsSturm/status/1741473305364767057

We need roboumps.

https://twitter.com/adamrank/status/1741314483371561210

5 Likes

Is the player reported if the official doesn’t tell the defense?

Clearly this crew screwed up multiple things in this game and in other games this year. Will there be any accountability?