2023 NFL Gameday Thread: SUPER refBOWL!

https://twitter.com/chrisbrockman/status/1708685790652596278

This is legitimately holding, no matter how much Saleh freaks out.

There were a shit ton of ticky tack calls to go around this game. Remember the completely phantom horse collar on the Chefs, and the bogus safety call? And the holding call on Trey Smith the play before the Sauce holding, that was pretty ticky tack in that spot.

The other thing I’m wondering is whether Mahomes only threw that ball after seeing the flag (since the INT being wiped away is what probably really pissed off Saleh/fans). I didn’t see it come out until late, but Mahomes would have had a pretty good view of the ref reaching for it and might have pulled the trigger as soon as he saw it.

Man I really really hope he only threw that after seeing the flag, or at least seeing the hold and the ref reaching for the flag. The way he lobbed it up there it sure seemed like it. But then again he lobbed up a couple horrible picks already in this game.

https://x.com/OptaSTATS/status/1708697061829271961?s=20

Just stop man. It’s not holding. Just like the Super Bowl play wasn’t a penalty

Also lost in the shuffle is the lol penalty on 3rd and 25 a few plays before that gets ignored because PM ran for 26

It was clear the refs were just going to keep calling auto 1st down penalties until the game ended

Eh. I had no horse in the fight and I think that was a bog-standard “refs are just mediocre” kinda game. On the other side, you had the bad horsecollar tackle call, and the face mask for a safety that really wasn’t (although I actually think the rule is bad, and any kind of hold that starts outside the goal line and then continues well into the EZ should be ruled a safety).

I’m fine with the holding call on Sauce too. That level of contact isn’t called every time but I’d never be surprised when it is.

100% standard chiefs refball (which is the new flavor of what used to be patriots refball and I’m sure it was jordanrefball in the NBA). Sure, you can cite a play here or there in completely non-meaningful spots to “balance it out”, but when the game is on the line, what must happen will always happen.

Don’t think it’s some wild conspiracy, but just human nature for the outcome to generally work towards matching what is “supposed to happen”.

Five-yard touch fouls for automatic 1st downs are the problem. Specifically creates a tool for Roger to buzz down and bail out the TV darling for incidental contact that occurs on every play. It should not be possible in the game of football to move backward on offense while extending drives. I’m not even sure I’d make personal fouls auto 1st downs and would prefer they go to a card system or whatever. Let’s check the tape:

1st & 10 at NYJ 47
(7:24 - 4th)

Play sequence:

Rush: -3 yards
Incomplete pass: 0 yards
Holding: -10 yards
Scramble: +25 yards + 5 yards (illegal contact)
Rush: +4 yards
Rush: -4 yards
Holding: -10 yards
Def Holding: +5 yards

1st & 10 at NYJ 35
(4:19 - 4th)

In 3:05 of critical game time, the Chiefs moved the ball from the NYJ 47 to the NYJ 35 in eight offensive plays, and 10 of the 12 yards gained were from penalties.

The Titans had a 15 play / 65 yard / 10:22 drive yesterday that ended with a FG and was extended by a phantom personal foul on 3rd and 16. Also def holding and offside later, so two automatic firsts and 25 / 65 yards were penalties. Totally unwatchable and insanely tilted against defenses.

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/1708890351895998618

A ticky tack hold on Trey Smith at that.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure what I was watching at one point.

Seems like the refs really wanted to put their fingers on the scale to make the game close though.

Yeah I’ve been saying that forever. I don’t know if I believe it for sure. But it sure seems like games when all eyes are watching almost always come out close.

@suzzer99 - you’ve become what you hate: the recipient of all the NFL machinations that you thought kept the Patriots on top for 2 decades.

Chiefs fans think the NFL is too woke to put its thumb on the scale for a team from middle America.

And you’ve become the player hater you used to mock. :smiley:

Honest question, not trying to be snarky: was the riggage real for the Patriots as well, or is it only real for the Chefs now? Or is it not real for both?

Because I sure thought it was real then when I was in the throes of fandom trauma, and I’m less committal now. So either I’m deluding myself now, or I was deluded then.

Is anything real?

as a fan of neither the pats or the chiefs i can tell you it’s real for both.

No it wasn’t. He actually held the guy and he pulled him off the line to the QB

no one is saying the chiefs don’t get calls against them

Again. Like the Super Bowl. When it counts. They get the calls

The holding call you are referring to. It’s irrelevant. The very next play. Ticky tack 5 yard defensive penalty

If you don’t think the Pats got the treatment. Go back and watch the tuck rule game. Can’t get more blatant than that.

I just like to troll around about the Chiefs - I honest to goodness don’t think any professional league has any level of riggage. Refs make mistakes, and then we construct narratives around it. Like, for example, that the refs give more roughing the passer calls to Tom Brady when the data proves the opposite. Humans suffer from apophenia - we see meaning in random information. Emotions are high in sports, and we get a bunch of terrible analysis as a result. Reffing is difficult.

Now THIS is a very real issue, with no bias:

1 Like

They weren’t even the Pats yet though.