2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Imagine the police exercising those resources for a different $40 piece of property. The whole thing is absolutely absurd, and at no point a crime, but instead as police love to say when someone has something substantial stolen “is just a civil matter. We can’t help you.”

I can only describe the fair and police as gross.

To be clear, the goat was worth hundreds of dollars. The ~$40 was the auction commission.
Mom was willing to refund the sale price of goat to buyer and pay the fair ~$40 out of her pocket for the lost commission.

Ah okay… still I feel the same. The police are not Involving themselves to track down a $400 bicycle that was paid for and not transferred.

To judge by the sudden increase in joggers there are winter indoor exercisers that go outdoors when it warms up. Still feels like fucking winter to me though.

Do they all run in the road instead of on the sidewalks? Everyone in my neighborhood decided during the pandemic to jog in the road and they haven’t stopped.

Running in the street would be suicide in this neighborhood. There is a paved lane on this road for pedestrians only, but cars sometimes drive the wrong way.

Yikes. I have buddies who will go on super long bike rides on roads like that, not for me.

1 Like

Lol.

Me. Heres some context that explains why POC experience this differently than you insist.

You. I’m not gonna read that. Back to my original point.

1 Like

I think you missed a step:

Rugby: Here are some articles
Melk: The headlines of those articles refer to things I am specifically NOT talking about, so I didn’t read them. I already accept the POC view on those things.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Votto007/status/1641818137183105026

9 Likes

Damn I got to shave.

1 Like

I once fed the neighborhood bully a dog food burrito. My finest hour on this earth.

Dude broke into my car, wrote bad checks to himself with my checkbook. I know who he is and where he lives. Cops do nothing of course.

https://twitter.com/theliamnissan/status/1642131520629481472

1 Like

A: we should listen to people’s stories of how they experience an interaction, rather than continue to insist we are good at guaging how people experience our questions

B: lmao you donk, I bet you call people Latinx to their faces, even though an overwhelming majority of Latinos don’t use that word

C: not gonna read those articles. Didn’t like the headlines

Like it’s really simple. There’s tons of evidence you’ve seen, and tons more you refuse to see, about how the white person is wrong about how the other person is experiencing the questions.

This is not shutting you down or insulting you or wielding some kind of power over you. It’s just really easy to take where you think the line is, and move it back a bit to adjust for becoming aware that you probably don’t have a perfect barometer.

People have so many opportunities to answer where their ancestors are from. If you’re really asking the question equally, independent of everyone’s skin color, accent, whatever, you’re honestly the rarest person on Earth, so good for you. But the questionee doesn’t know this. There are infinite ways to engage with someone without bringing this up. You might even make them feel good by not bringing it up. The downside (to them. There’s downside to your irrelevant curiosity) is literally nothing, even if they don’t notice you didn’t ask where their ancestors are from.

My wife only asks me what I want when she can’t decide what she wants and then completely ignores it.

@Rugby, I went back and read them. I’m sticking with above. I agree with the articles (as I knew I would) and they aren’t what I was talking about. Honestly, I’m kind of wondering if you actually read them and the posts in this thread if you thought they applied. No one here was in the “Where are you really from?” is fine camp.

Don’t ask people, “Where are you from?”. Instead, say something like “Are you Guatemalan?” Also, try not to make that the first thing you ask them. Also, some Asians can get pissed off you misapply their ethnicity, since they sometimes have grievances towards other countries or superiority complexes.

3 Likes

I think we can all agree that it comes down to execution and you can’t apply a hard and fast rule like this. Even everyone of @Rugby’s earlier suggestions would probably offend in the right circumstances. You’ve got to take it case by case. There are definitely terrible ways to execute this and if you’re doing that or even if you’re unsure, then, sure don’t do it. That seems like pretty unobjectionable advice and is quite different from never do it (which was what the tweet that kicked of this whole thing suggested).