2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

This is exactly how it went down when FL changed it so that amendments require 60% to pass

Feels wasteful to have a vote for an abortion amendment in Ohio this November instead of doing it in 2024 to drive turnout for other elections.

Was today years old when I learned that there was a schism of this forum and half the members took their marbles and went elsewhere to play–8 months ago.

2 Likes

“In friendship, as in love, we are often happier through our ignorance than our knowledge.”

William Shakespeare

3 Likes

I was a bit out of the loop for that as well.

Eh, ignorance is bliss when it comes to drama here.

1 Like

If you still haven’t seen it, this was the announcement.

While it’s fair to call it a schism, many posters remain at least moderately active in both communities.

2 Likes

At a cursory glance, there is relatively sparse activity there by formerly active members here–to go along with the long-apparent reduction in activity here.

Feels a bit like the LIV GOLF/PGA Tour of former-2+2-member forums.

But without the juicy paydays.

Someone call the Saudis.

1 Like

Couldn’t decide between putting this here, in Just Memes, or in one of the GOP racist threads:

4 Likes

This PragerU stuff is probably the clearest “history is written by the victors” illustration that I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

Just hearing about this. What is their policy on fake Trump tweets?

Some great videos etc. of the riverboat brawl in the Balloon Juice thread comments.

My favorite (very NSFW):

https://twitter.com/JonoBarnes/status/1688370562828005376?t=8Hf7GtMFZFsEh9O9St943Q&s=03

5 Likes

My favorite Taylor Swift music video

I was working at Borders Books and Music when her first album came out in 2006.

Man was that a shitty album cover lmao I didn’t give her a chance until years later.

1 Like

This should hang in the Louvre.

5 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/08/09/montgomery-alabama-riverboat-brawl-captain/

https://archive.ph/CeQlh

The three White men charged with assault Tuesday after they attacked a Black riverboat co-captain in Montgomery, Ala., and ignited a brawl largely along racial lines had previously caused problems for the Harriott II, the vessel’s captain said, and were repeatedly asked to move their pontoon boat so the riverboat could dock.

Harriott II captain Jim Kittrell told media outlets he believed the attack on co-captain Damien Pickett over the weekend was “racially motivated.”

Richard Roberts, 48; Allen Todd, 23; and Zachery Shipman, 25, have four warrants pending for third-degree misdemeanor assault for attacking Pickett on a dock in Riverfront Park, Montgomery Police Chief Darryl J. Albert said at a news conference.

Roberts, who also has a warrant pending for striking a 16-year-old White boy, turned himself in and is in custody, Montgomery Police Maj. Saba Coleman told The Washington Post. Todd and Shipman had not turned themselves in as of Wednesday morning, Coleman said. She added that Reggie Gray, a 42-year-old Black man who was seen on video hitting people with a folding chair during the brawl, has also not turned himself in after police called on him to do so.

Does anyone else find the capitalization of White and Black weird? Is this a new thing?

It’s been around for a few years, only when writing about people

Capitalizing Black isn’t all that new, as it’s giving recognition that Black people have been denied an ethnicity due to slavery that non-Black people get to enjoy, and ethnicities are capitalized. Capitalizing White is usually the domain of white supremacists. I’m surprised to see WaPo doing it.

1 Like

AP style switched to sometime after the murder of George Floyd. If you’re going to capitalize “Black”, then not capitalizing “White” treats whiteness as the default norm. Here’s one article on the matter:

4 Likes

Why not have both lowercase?

Someone should post link to an explanation.

1 Like

Yes, it’s weird and cringey.

1 Like