2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Acyn/status/1611151176447164418

2 Likes

Agree. But then again Iā€™m white and my experience in the south is in cities, not rural areas.

Preach

2 Likes

I had a professor that traveled overseas frequently, and would bring back European Kit Kats each trip, claiming they were miles better than the US version.

Iā€™m just going to continue clinging to my ignorance. I figure if I try one of these magical versions, Iā€™m just going to end up hating the version I currently like. No upside in that imo.

1 Like

This is true of a ton of processed food, and probably generally true about American processed food because of FREEDOM.

You are the only one who brought up black people.

I refused to even look at a high-definition TV for several years after they first came out because I figured if I saw one I would have to have one. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, this exactly. But I also recognize this attitude is completely insane - ā€œI will never aspire to experience anything good, because then I will be forced to live with all of the mediocrity that I currently donā€™t recognize as mediocre.ā€

1 Like

This has been my approach with cell phones forever. The old generation phones that come with no cost on tip of your phone plan have always been good enough for me.

4 Likes

Trigger warning:

My wife doesnā€™t really know how to record shows with Uverse. So she records them in standard definition. Then when she plays them on the TVs, which are obviously all HD (does anyone even make SD TVs anymore?), the picture doesnā€™t fill up the screen. So she enlarges the picture on the TV (thereā€™s a button on the remote for that) so itā€™ll fill up the screen. You can imagine how it looks.

Sheā€™s not dumb, by the way. She just really doesnā€™t care. Took me a while to figure that out/come to terms with it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been blown away by the advances Japan has made in Kit-Kat technology, they have so many flavors. Didnā€™t realize Europe is advancing in this field as well, looks the USA#1 is far behind the curve.

3 Likes

Apparently theyā€™re not even made by the same company.

Those who have participated in a flavor test comparing British Kit-Kats to American Kit-Kats can attest to the fact that they actually do taste different. And thereā€™s a reason: Not only do they have different manufacturers, but they have completely different recipes, too. American Kit-Kats are made by the Hershey Company, while British Kit-Kats are made by NestlĆ©. The American-made chocolate bar contains more sugar, while the British-made chocolate bar is higher in fat and cocoa, resulting in a richer, smoother flavor.

Some more coverage of the Second Avenue Subway:

1 Like

Happy January 6th, Everyone!

2 Likes

Two men set themselves on fire after dumping an accelerant on a California immigration services building and setting it ablaze, video shows.

On Monday night, a Ring surveillance camera captured two men dressed in black with masks covering their faces walking up to Servicio de Inmigracion in Bakersfield, California. The two men proceed to dump the accelerant over the side of the building and parking lot in front.

3 Likes

My stepdad currently has his chest open and his heart and lungs bypassed while they fix 4 different things in his heart. Technology is crazy.

12 Likes

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1611410846084747266

Governor Ron DeSantis appointed six new members to the New College of Floridaā€™s Board of Trustees on Friday, directing the new conservative majority to reorient a public university that has been led astray by progressive ideologues in recent years.

DeSantisā€™s six appointees are Christopher Rufo, Mark Bauerlein, Matthew Spalding, Charles Kesler, Debra Jenks, and Jason ā€œEddieā€ Speir. Several are well-known conservatives.

Rufo is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute and is best known for his activism against critical race theory in K-12, corporations, and higher education. Spalding is vice president of the graduate school of government at Hillsdale College in Washington, D.C. and has published books on the Constitution and the founding. Kesler is a senior fellow of the Claremont Institute and editor of the Claremont Review of Books , a quarterly conservative publication of political philosophy, history, and literature.

My guess is theyā€™re going to turn it into their Hillsdale on the Coast

Very true. I was honestly surprised at how disappointed I was with most food in America.

I mean there are some things I will always go for (New York bagels, Philly steak) but the average restaurant in most of Europe beats the hell out of your average American restaurant in America. The first place I went to for lunch when I went to the states in December was basically a menu of various sandwiches and thatā€™s it. Kinda lame.

It sounds like you went to a deli?

No.

To be fair, they did have an appetizer section. So it wasnā€™t all sandwiches. Just the mains were.