2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1608955616806010880

Sadly destroying poor and minority neighborhoods to build highways is all too common

Hereā€™s Boston

It mightā€™ve been the most generic insult possible.

Like, Iā€™m 100% certain the first mf driving a model-t had some horse and buggy riders tell him he was overcompensating.

Fuuuuuck this

https://twitter.com/HowThingsWork_/status/1608824198285393922

6 Likes

The problem isnā€™t ā€œoh no poor tateā€ and it isnā€™t even ā€œoh no poor dudes who actually have small penisesā€, the problem is perpetuating a sense of inadequacy as a resting state of the human condition. Tateā€™s penis is probably fine, and thatā€™s the problem!

That said, I hope Putinā€™s penis is small, like super tiny, and he was taunted mercilessly for it, cuz God in heaven I want these nukes to fly.

I got a queasy feeling in my stomach from watching that.

Two questions:

1. People horny for this insult are overcompensating. Little rock solid three inch boners. Yes I know this isnā€™t a question.

2. So Greta is fucking now or what?

1 Like

You say we shouldnā€™t have torn down black neighborhoods to make room for freeways 60 years ago. Yet you support fixing existing bridges. Strange. I am very smart.

Iā€™m not anti-freeway in general, but a lot of freeways suck. I donā€™t think it should ever permissible to seize a neighborhood through eminent domain to build a freeway. If Beverly Hills wouldnā€™t allow it, why is it ok to do to Compton?

San Francisco did the right thing and mostly didnā€™t allow freeways through the city. Then they didnā€™t rebuild the Embarcadero freeway or the Fell St. off-ramp (or on-ramp, I forget) after the earthquake, and itā€™s not like either of those held them back economically at all.

People made the same arguments when they converted shopping areas into walk streets in Europe. In every city after city - it will kill the local economy. And then it pretty much did the opposite.

But an existing bridge seems to be a little different animal.

1 Like

Almost all city neighborhoods in the 50s were poor. Pre gentrification, most of the rich people commuted from the suburbs by rail. The White Flight phenomenon mostly hadnā€™t happened yet.

The city Iā€™m most familiar with, Chicago:

Our big interchange was built in Little Italy. Of the 4 highways leading from downtown, 2 were built in white working class areas (Kennedy, Eisenhower), one was built in an industrial corridor (Stevenson) and one was built on the border of black and white, (Dan Ryan). There were always rumors the Dan Ryan was positioned to barricade the Bronzeville neighborhood and that could be true.

While Iā€™m sure I havenā€™t gained points dying on this hill, back then highways were considered good things that a community wants to have. I still think that.

Fuck highways in cities and fuck storrow drive

Look at this stupid ass bullshit

2 Likes

The Big Dig has pretty much scared anyone else from trying a large scale traffic restructuring.

1 Like

We need a total and complete shutdown of new highway construction until our countryā€™s representatives can figure out what is going on.

3 Likes

Storrow Drive is kind of stupid, but isnā€™t the entire Back Bay built on landfill?

the worst one is the popup that says youā€™re exceeding the speed limit at 75mph. driving 72 mph and speed up? BEEP driving 76mph and slow down? BEEP

Yes, Iā€™m sure the black people and immigrants whose houses and apartment buildings were seized with basically no offer of compensation or help with relocation considered the highways a good thing.

You do understand that these people were basically voiceless, and like most black viewpoints from that time, their stories were never truthfully told, right?

2 Likes

Storrow Dr. is an endless source of entertainment and the only reason to hate it is if you rent moving trucks to students.

1 Like

looks like a giant, unfinished putt putt course

Hereā€™s what it turned into

2 Likes

I dont get that one. Maybe theres a way to switch it off?

Apparently all other Idaho schools are taking all u of i students who want to transfer and are accepting their full transcripts. So I could see them trying to get students in with a little extra effort.

Good news is they caught at least one of the killers, allegedly. (I donā€™t believe there are more than one, but I donā€™t know that there was only one. Kind of a tough crime for one person physically but again no idea.)