2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

I think I got a couple hundred of those in me. Let’s go, Kadyrov. HU4Rollz.

It’s wild how stuff from Sci-Fi movies 30 years ago finally comes to fruition and no one even notices. Video greeting cards? Yep we got em now. Minority Report retinal scanning? Yep.

2 Likes

All that planning and research and the dingus used his own car.

1 Like

Probably just coincidence that integration coincided with policies abolishing people’s reasons for walking through your neighborhood

I approve of your tastefully understated woodwork.

2 Likes

I’ll give you 3 guesses which neighborhood was bulldozed to build that soulless freeway system in the second picture, and you don’t even need to know the names of Cincy’s neighborhoods. Also, the first two guesses don’t count.

https://twitter.com/TheStateOfCincy/status/1603805941337845762?s=20&t=FTnfLBKx87UlI6t6XgAJxA

In other Cincinnati news, fucking FINALLY:
https://twitter.com/AftabPureval/status/1608502890024554497?s=20&t=FTnfLBKx87UlI6t6XgAJxA

The bridge has been in disrepair for years, and it carries 4% of our national GDP every day.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’m the only person who read it. But theres this sci fi book called “Futuretrack 5”

Part of it involves a high tech motorbike that beeps to help guide the driver how to drive better.

My mid range Forrester was doing this to me yesterday. Stay in your lane. Eyes on the road. Vehicles close by.

1 Like

Richwhitepeople Oaks?

2 Likes

Can confirm bridge is terrible. Way overdue

1 Like

try the opposite. Like every other city that “needed” to put in a freeway, Cincy chose racism.

The West End was home to lower income Black and Immigrant workers as well as the meat packing plants that gave Cincinnati the nickname “Porkopolis” around the turn of the century.

@skydiver8 , Are you sure you want to trash a highway interchange and celebrate rebuilding a bridge leading to the same interchange in the same post?

Well, i can’t go back in time and move the highway interchange, so we do with it what we can.

They are not mutually exclusive.

“We should invest in infrastructure” and “we should not destroy black neighborhoods to build that infrastructure” are not mutually exclusive

2 Likes

She’s hardly the only lib who does this, but I do get annoyed by people posting emotional before and after pics with zero thought to the hundreds of thousands who rely on a highway.

Part of the reason this annoys me is there are people who do want to move or eliminate highways.

Yes, that is what I mean. If we can invest to move or streamline that interchange to allow people back into the areas that were destroyed, even better. I’m not entirely sure that’s possible in Cincinnati’s case, but I know some other cities that ARE doing that. Houston, for example, just got grant money to demolish a portion of a freeway that was built through a black neighborhood.

The meat packing industry doesn’t live there anymore, and what is now Queensgate (still industrial) was basically designed around the interchange. The Kenyon-Barr area of the West end was completely destroyed and most of those people relocated to Over The Rhine, which is now the hip new gentrified neighborhood (which is a whole other conversation).

As for the bridge, the actual plan is to keep local traffic to the existing bridge and build a new bridge next to it for truck/interstate traffic. No one lives where the bridges are now, so that part of it is a moot point.

Also, what? Am I not allowed to acknowledge that freeway development in the 50s was done by racists who consistently chose to demolish black and brown or low-income neighborhoods?

1 Like

Thank God urban planners built all those highways out to the densely packed suburbs so the suburbanites would have a way to drive to the city. I remember my great grandparents telling us horror stories of all the families in the 1940s driving their SUVs around in circles in their car dependent suburban neighborhoods for days and days until they finally just died in their cars because there was no way to exit the car dependent suburb and buy groceries.

6 Likes

Are you suggesting that a bridge across the river wouldn’t be necessary without the interchange?

What’s wrong with moving the highway to tear up a white community instead?

I’m suggesting an interchange is necessary for the bridge.

Damn, for like 5 seconds I was sure that was “Footloose”