2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

do not do this

Sounds like heā€™s Neal Page and sheā€™s Del Griffith.

1 Like

dude if the weather is bad enough to cancel your flights you absolutely do not want to drive in it, especially in the south where they have zero infrastructure and the plan is ā€œwait for it to meltā€

6 Likes

sleeping on the floor in the nashville airport >>>>>>>> sleeping in your car on the side of I-65 when itā€™s 3 degrees outside

1 Like

This is among the worst ideas Iā€™ve ever heard. Thereā€™s a nonzero chance youā€™ll end up dying on the side of the road.

1 Like

You can do worse than getting trapped in New Orleans too, but nonzero chance of dying on the side of the road there too tbh

6 Likes

Devilā€™s advocate:

do-it

7 Likes

During the Atlanta Snowpocalypse several years ago, my brother was trying to get home from work, from near the airport to up in East Cobb, so a long drive through or around the city. The drive kept getting worse and worse, so he called me to ask if I could check the news, internet, whatever to try to figure out what he could do.

I was the ā€œman in the chair.ā€

He got off the highway about halfway and was stuck for hours. At one point, he saw some movement in traffic near an on-ramp and thought he could make it back to the highway. I told him that there was no way he should get back on the highway - there was almost no chance he would make it home and it would be 1000x worse to be stuck on the highway than on a surface street.

Fortunately, he heeded my advice, because he did get stuck and didnā€™t make it home until the following afternoon. Where he was stuck was near a CVS, so he was able to take shelter for a while, rather than running his car all night and day. During the adventure, he took on a random passenger who thought he would be able to walk home.

He almost cried when he finally made it back to his apartment.

4 Likes

I just shoveled the driveway and it was darn cold. Let the dog out to pee as well, he came out, peed, and rushed back inside.

Our official temperature swing since yesterday is 72 degrees :exploding_head:

2 Likes

lol my sister and her family are visiting LA, my dad is staying in my house, and my wife just tested positive for COVID. Gonna be an interesting few days!

5 Likes

The only place I saw it really be a thing was in POG Sheep games.

Yup.

This was from like 1-2 inches.

3 Likes

Tell Cameron to make a scifi Godfather, scifi Citizen Kane, and scifi Rashomon.

I was soooooo thankful I was home and safe for all of the Snowpocalypse. I was in nursing school at the time and Kennesaw State had cancelled classes the night before.

The big mistake is everyone tried to go to work in the morning like a normal day, then all the schools tried to cancel at noon to miss the worst of it, right when it all started coming down.

Iā€™ve never seen the traffic map of Atlanta look so terrible. I heard on the news a baby was born on I-285.

I did what any good student would do: walked to the liquor store to stock up, and stay hunkered down.

For lols from northerners: I think this was all over 4-5 inches iirc

https://mobile.twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1605955667554181125

New Orleans to Nashville flight is delayed so that thereā€™s no way for us to make the flight home to Columbus. Have a reserved rental at Nashville tonight with one-way dropoff at Columbus. Very fun times for everyone.

1 Like

I had a bit of a weather shift on Tuesday morning, albeit not as dramatic on a daily scale it was surprising. It was pretty cold overnight and I think there was a little snow, but it eventually that precipitation turned to rain and a pretty hard rain for Seattle. I attempted to take the dog out for a walk but he wouldnā€™t budge because it was raining hard. Fine, whatever buddy I didnā€™t want to go out in the 36Ā°f rain either. So we start getting the 7 month old ready to take to daycare. I go out to warm the car up and come back in to get him properly clothed, backpack packed, etc. We werenā€™t really paying attention to the weather in the 10 minutes that elapsed and all of a sudden it was dumping snow outside and easily already a 1/2" on the ground.

To me, this was pretty dramatic on a very small time scale. Iā€™m more used to the slow temperature gradient where you see rain turn into sleet and eventually to snow over a multi-hour time frame.

Snow driving in Seattle is also fucking terrible, very similar to being in the south. They donā€™t have proper plowing infrastructure, people are morons, and there are huge hills that become a source of amusement watching people crash going up/down.

1 Like

Back in 2009 or 2010 there was a pretty crazy snowstorm in Chicago when I was employed at my first (and only) real job, which was selling life insurance. The streets were so bad I turned around within 15 minutes. But coming out of the recession there were a few people who really needed the employment and thought they had to show up at work no matter what, so some people sat on the highway for 6, 7, 8 hours only to find there was no one at the office after all once they got there. Yikes. Those people got a nice golf clap round of applause the next meeting!

I have had the absolute WORST day. The self checkout line at the supermarket ran down the soup aisle, and I impulsively grabbed a can of chowdah while I was waiting. When I got home I saw that I had accidentally purchased MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER, but I was already super stoked about having propah chowdah with dinnah tonight so I had to go all the way back to the store to buy the right stuff. And Iā€™m still stuck with the other can. What do I even do with something like that?

Manhattan chowder appears to be tomato based, never had it but meh doesnā€™t sound like an improvement.

I wouldnā€™t have taken your for a person who buys canned chowder but I approve.