2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

You can eat the skins. They’re not as bad as you might expect.

I just made 8 quarts of grapefruit marmalade to spite the grapefruit haters

9 Likes

Why do you skin them? Cut in half and use a spoon.

Places where fruit grows everywhere are amazing places during harvest time. I’m look at you Californians.

Having mostly lived in bad climates, going to my grandparents in Chico during the summer and having someone casually mention they picked some cherries and bringing out a five gallon bucket of cherries was like mana from heaven. Then seeing the neighbors yards with fruit trees with huge ripened fruit and the neighbor just casually mention that they needed us to pick all the fruit or it’d go bad was like I didn’t know these kinds of problems existed.

Living in Mendoza was like that too. Having to walk to different places sometimes we’d have to cut through some apple orchards and you’d walk out stuffed from eating the left over apples or during grape season having random people hand you clusters of different varieties of grapes until the refrigerator is full.

3 Likes

I do that too and it makes it easier but the ratio to effort to the size of the fruit is still on the lower end

it’s not even the worst melon

1 Like

You don’t need to have a durian. Just be in the same room as some durians for a while and they will easily take the #1 worst fruit slot.

It actually tastes better than it smells, but only slightly.

Does America redistribute more than Europe?

Cliffs: Yes, if you ignore most of the the welfare state

This is because when you go the supermarket you will choose the stuff that is cheap and looks great. It’s really your fault.

We had this with mangos growing up.

Cost 5 bucks each in states in the south of Australia. People would be handing out crates of the stuff for free.

A note posted at my local chess club. I understand you guys in the US might have need of one of these. Let me know if you’d like it shipped.

1 Like

Yeah this is a masssive and somehow totally legal scam.

1 Like

Well, that really chaps my hide

There is no higher-priced higher-quality option at the grocery store. Have to go to farmer’s market for that.

The only other choice at the grocery store is organic, and at the grocery store that almost universally sucks for some reason.

I spent about 24 hours in Chico this year. I don’t know what I expected, but it was far more pleasant than that. There’s an outside chance my kid goes to Chico State next year.

Organic produce at the supermarket sucks for the same reason regular produce sucks at the supermarket. ‘Organic’ is a largely meaningless label that tells you nothing about the quality, safety, or sustainability of what you’re buying. It’s a broken heuristic that primarily functions as a premium priced lifestyle statement.

1 Like

Most people would read “genetically-engineered” to mean genetically-modified food, which I don’t think was the case. The first genetically-modified food approved for human consumption was a tomato in the mid-90s that would have a longer shelf-life while ripe.

The less tasty plants were developed through natural plant breeding, with a desire to maximize yield, consistency, and hardiness and minimize cost as priorities over flavor.

I think fruits and vegetables grown primarily for flavor are always going to be a niche market in America.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a major focus in the next 10-30 years, along with other interventions that enhance things like shelf life and disease resistance. It’s a pretty obvious source of potential improvement that will probably be made easier by technical advances.

The major focus will, as always, be on maximizing profitability. People have to eat, even if the food tastes bad. The dumbass explosion of hot sauces and spicy condiments suggests to me that the future of food might be in developing flavor enhancers for adding to foods that have been made blandly consistent.

Mango GOAT fruit

1 Like