2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

I’ve never understood how bananas are so fucking cheap in the US. I assume two big reasons are a) workers are paid next to nothing and b) they are grown in massive quantities, but it just seems like the costs of growing, harvesting, packaging, shipping across the world/hemisphere, etc. would make them more expensive than like 39 or 59 cents a pound or whatever they cost right now.

1 Like

I think I’m incapable of feeling earthquakes. Never actually feel one really.

The history of the banana trade is extremely dark, even by “every industry is dark” standards.

5 Likes

what’s good for united fruit is good for america

Same for me for the most part – we’ve had a few in the 3-4 range that I had to be told about afterwards. The only one I’ve ever felt was a 5.7 at Petco Park watching the Blue Jays play the Padres.

1 Like

I kind of figured as much.

6 Likes

They are so desperate to be in a Hallmark Channel movie.

Reminds me of this neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Was there over the weekend. It’s quite a thing

2 Likes

Hard to believe this…

In other “what the fuck” news

https://twitter.com/kevinbuist/status/1605238228545851392

2 Likes

Just had my mind blown.

Contact with Child Protective Services (CPS)—encompassing everything from an investigation to the termination of parental rights (TPR)—is common, unequally distributed, and potentially consequential for children. National data from the United States indicate that roughly 1 in 3 children will ever have a CPS investigation

Sorry, what?

1 Like

I’ve been saving it for a dump, but it’s appropriate.

3 Likes

While that number is definitely surprising, I know more than one totally normal family whose kid said something at school like “OMG my dad is going to kick my ass when he sees my report card” and got a visit from CPS.

Have a really hard time believing this based on my experience that has included murder, so I’m guessing this is some super broad definition.

So easy to believe. Comcast is the nut low of the nut low cable companies.

Been debating this all night.

You are given $1 million cash but have only 30 min to spend it. What is the best strategy?

half a million on black, half a million on red

1 Like