2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Theyve got these all over the bay area and east bay/central valley.

Its not bad. Think of it like a food court that exists outside of a mall. Kinda nice when everybody in the family is in the mood for something different.

1 Like

This is what i was talking about, basically a higher class mall food court in some old warehouse building.

1 Like

In Berlin they also had these type of places (Markthalle Neun and Arminiusmarkhalle were the two I remember) which have a mix of other vendors and food / drink service.

1 Like

These places exist and Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s one in Minneapolis.

There was one in SLC too.

1 Like

Ya, I like these places. Would recommend Foodhallen in Amsterdam. I guess something similar we have in America is like a food truck fest, but itā€™s in a parking lot somewhere.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JustinAHorwitz/status/1712133727587889350?t=m843pxxHYB_tNqwY6mycTQ&s=19

4 Likes

Or he didnā€™t fall hard enough.

3 Likes

This one is near me. Been there, enjoyed it.

1 Like

A few more degrees forward.

Alas

Peter Gabriel Phil Collins made it better.

https://x.com/MeidasTouch/status/1712170212643262766?s=20

5 Likes

Ever been to Grand Central Market in DTLA? Big food hall with lots of international options. And thereā€™s a bar!

https://twitter.com/tommybayertime/status/1712247631949205965?t=WK0AIRWC0uw01pqx-KJEhg&s=19

2 Likes

They opened up an upscale food hall type place called the ā€œsky deckā€ in my neighborhood and it is the most frustrating overpriced piece of shit ever.

First of all, how are 13 different restaurants suppose to thrive together? Why would a chef go through all the trouble to open up a 20 seat restaurant? Iā€™m pretty sure a busser working at a neighboring real restaurant makes more than a head chef at any of these places.

The biggest problem though is all of these places have separate liquor licenses. Thatā€™s right, you show up thinking wow this is a cool concept, Iā€™ll go up to the top floor to the brewers deck, grab a beer from one of 3 breweries there, and head down for some food.

Not so fast! You cannot bring your beer down?!? Ok, fine, thatā€™s stupid, but we can mobile order some food from a place and have it sent to us. Hold on, you canā€™t order off the full menu? And when you do, it takes forever, itā€™s dropped off with no utensils, and the food runner is already gone and never coming back.

Just a total disaster. I get that things are messy legally with liquor licenses and the exact places you can actually drink, but it ruins the entire fucking concept.

3 Likes

Yeah I have wondered if itā€™s worth it for the chefs at most of these places. The venue is going to charge rent based on the overall traffic and itā€™s going to be a lot relative to the number of seats, thus putting a lot of pressure on margins.

The alcohol service issues youā€™re raising do seem uniquely bad in that venue

I donā€™t mind food halls, but the place I took a picture of isnā€™t big enough to fit that many restaurants in a food hall layout. Iā€™m not sure what the setup is going to be. Maybe it will only do takeout and delivery, or maybe it will have a single counter for dine-in orders with limited seating.

ETA: I found a trip report for one thatā€™s already open in another neighborhood. It has 12 seats

Decapitated babies making you sad? Well come on down to Applebeeā€™s for our all-you-can-eat Baby Back Ribs Special now with our secret Jerusalem sauce! Only $15 at Applebeeā€™s!

6 Likes
5 Likes

Well now I have to think twice about getting unlimited boneless buffalo wings.

Oh, who am I kidding

1 Like

More brands should have completely random geopolitical stances, it would be fun.

I think the place in Boulder thatā€™s like this has a separate bar on each floor and the food places only do food.

1 Like