2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

I’m saying men in 2023 still trying to play out a damsel in distress narrative is insulting

1 Like

Ok my bad

1 Like

That kind of… is the case though right? It’s why people here treat me the way they do.

(or lol how horrifying would it be if they thought I couldn’t handle it)

1 Like

Ah, thank you for clarifying. So when you posted “Yeah fuck democracy”, that was just an uncontroversial paraphrase that was intended to spark a good-faith discussion of whether democracy should, in fact, be fucked, and by failing to immediately disavow the anti-democracy position, skydiver was acknowledging the accuracy of your paraphrase. I was definitely confused. If you can believe it, I thought you were just being a toxic asshole! How embarrassing for me. Please accept my insincerest apologies.

7 Likes

The idea that asshole behavior is fine and shouldn’t be objected to as long as the target isn’t a “snowflake” or unable to “handle” it is very toxic. It’s basically the grown-up version of the schoolyard idea that you have to accept any dare unless you’re admitting that you’re too chicken. No. However tough they are, people are justified in expecting to be treated with a minimal degree of respect. If you think bystanders are suggesting that the targets of disrespectful behavior are weak or incapable when they object to the disrespectful behavior, you’re deeply misunderstanding things.

14 Likes

You’re sarcasm is half correct. I began in a rude manner and she made fun of me for questioning her hard ball anti-democratic tactics (while confusing me for someone else, mind you).

Then the forum men jumped in to explain to me and her what she really meant.

You’re going to look back at this exchange one day and blush. She can handle herself just fine, and there is a real discussion underneath all of this that dates back to Plato’s argument against democracy.

Am I mistaken, or is this the same referendum where Republicans have messed with the language so badly that it’s almost impossible to understand in the actual election what is even at stake? And we’re berating a forum poster for saying the messaging should be 100% about freedom?

VOTE YES FOR (abstract thing)
VOTE YES ON (ballot measure)

…is like politics 101 and not some newfangled anti-small-d-democratic tactic in response to RWNJ fuckery.

AngryQueer does have a point the Dems should not hide from their principles, and doing so is what causes a lot of the party’s rot. That’s the only valid critique imo.

2 Likes

I know reading is tough for you bobman, that is not what I was saying

You’re exactly correct and this was sky’s first response that everyone else is ignoring: “they are doing it, so we will too”.

Just don’t pretend this is democratic.

Cassette this act is not working, everyone can see through it

2 Likes

Stop bullying me

1 Like

Literally got a spit take out of me.

You spent how many months talking shit about “styling” on people?

1 Like

So let’s take a look at what started this…

This toxic poster saying anyone who disagrees with her is homophobic.

And if people push back on it they are “bullying” her.

I remember when Victor, one of the most aggressive posters in the history of this community, was also convinced that actually he was the victim.

It’s the final tactic once y’all start getting pushback.

2 Likes

1 Like

When did we decide to build the whole forum out of About Moderation?

2 Likes

I think the old saying is something like - the most interesting part of OOT is discussion about OOT.

I think some squirrels are humping in my second story gutters. I can hear them moving around like crazy and when I went outside to look, the gutter covers were bouncing up and down. Those squirrels are really taking advantage of their day off from work.

6 Likes

Ok but Alex, what are your thoughts on objective reality and how uncomplicated of a relationship do you have said objective reality?

Because we don’t have to guess, and already you seem to think that victims can’t be aggressive so things don’t look good.

If you meant “antagonistic” that might be closer. But the nature of message board posts means that time and space gets stretched.

If only there was something that could be done