Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

I think what is trending is a desparate desire from the wealthy ruling class to get people to stop talking about how evil they are.

4 Likes

THIS is how you frame a story. A rare media win

7 Likes

Goddamn lol the entire reason I gotta donate money to people is because rich people are hoarding all the wealth, this shit ain’t fun for me.

Glad they’re out there having a blast at their charity events while I send what little money I can on gofundme every time someone I know suffers some horrible tragedy or dies.

And what the fuck good is some charity drive where you don’t give any money to your charity? Oh ya I lost so instead of planned parenthood getting a check I’m actually funding moms for liberty. You’re welcome rubes hope you were entertained by the pocket change we tossed and around while betting on golf.

2 Likes

It’s always Fox

Listening to an audiobook that I checked out from the library and it has a recommendation for a book, so I :star: that book so I can remember to check it out later. I don’t really pay much attention to the rec at this point in the process.

I got a message that my reservation was ready and I could check it out. Yay! I go to the app and see this:

Yes, that David Brooks.

Now for the :harold: , I’m still planning to listen to a few chapters. I’m trying to get a head start on my midlife crisis or something.

4 Likes

I refuse to link to the “review” here. You all worship at the homophobic feet of NJR and Current Affairs, so I’m sure you can find it yourself on your subscription.

Calling the emergency adoption of at-risk twins with health issues “curation” is disgusting. Assuming that living a monogamous life with a family isn’t radically queer enough is sad and closed minded. Spending the majority of your supposed review of a book talking about the author’s spouse is weird and a poorly-veiled rehash of the same shit you’ve been crying about for 4 years.

8 Likes

Interesting, I hadn’t thought of NJR since he embarrassed himself by being the exact kind of boss he pretends to hate and lost most of his respect, if I remember correctly. I can’t recall anyone posting him here lately, but I guess people still worship him in secret. Maybe you can be more specific about who you think subscribes to Current Affairs and we can play a fun game with it.

Regardless, I went to find the article, mostly out of a morbid curiosity to see how bad it was and to see how far NJR has fallen, and also some curiosity to see how a review could be both homophobic while criticizing the book’s author for not being queer enough.

Except NJR didn’t even write the review, it was written by Yasmin Nair, a queer woman. And most of the review was actually about Chasten (including a sympathetic summary of his childhood), but to see that you’d have to read more than the first three paragraphs which obviously need to talk about his spouse because why the fuck would anyone care about a book by Chasten if he wasn’t Pete’s husband. And it’s not the living of their life that isn’t queer enough–she literally says here that it’s about more than living their life!

To use a phrase that originated in radical feminist and queer circles, the Buttigieges enable a pinkwashing of American imperialism. The problem is not that their lifestyles are too normative, but that nothing about their vision for the world is a departure: their gayness provides a progressive cover for a politics that’s all about preserving the status quo.

So I don’t really get it. It’s a review of the book, a book about Chasten’s back story and his worldview, that discusses his back story and criticizes his worldview.

3 Likes

As in you wanted to see which flavor, or as in, you couldn’t imagine any way how?

Oh I’m sure there are ways but seems like an interesting line to walk and I’d like to see what that looks like.

Protip: get somebody good at words to do a brief edit of your future posts, so you don’t leave lines like this in, and give up the whole game, by revealing what an actually awful person you are, down to the level of fundamental thought processes.

It’s not exactly a tightrope, imo, to say someone’s an Uncle Mary for not going to bathhouses or knowing fashion or whatever

Imagine typing “same shit you’ve been crying about for 4 years” in any context, much less one where the context is real human empathy, and then thinking you did a good job of pretending like you do have real human empathy. Like, how much of a total fucking sociopath would you have to be God in heaven.

Stop crying about the mistake you made working on the campaign for that sociopathic pos. It was 4 years ago.

1 Like

What about feet worship?

Ok but counterpoint: stop crying crybaby

you done yet?

1 Like

To be fair, it’s his supporters like skydiver who created and glommed onto this cover, not Pete himself

Otherwise one would be saying he should be closeted if he’s not gonna be leftist

1 Like

Pete’s status quo supporters use his orientation as a cover when arguing with leftists: correct

“The Buttigieg’s use their orientation as cover”: a sickeningly homophobic statement that I’m shocked some smart people don’t grasp

1 Like

No. I was just about to make a post telling Discourse Helper that it is empirically incorrect in its statement that one long post is better than multiple short posts. Like, scientifically proven, the way the brain processes chunks of information.

And the different ways text is presented has wildly different effects and affects on how the information is processed. This spans the spectrum from dry technical works, even instruction manuals, to the very artistic. Like the poetry of EE Cummings. That mf EE would write things

l
i
k
e

t
h
i
s,

and Discourse Helper didn’t tell him that maybe um perhaps he could think about putting those two words in one line because it would better, like this: like this.

But you just combo broke my series of posts, so, that’s out the window and I’m not going to make the post

End sentence with period.

Click

1 Like