2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

“I’m a tenured professor, but my real love is stacking residuals from Deep Space Nine and Spenser For Hire.”

8 Likes

Not sure which thread to put this in. I got the email that I need to start paying off my student loan again in October.

I’m fine, but I can’t imagine how crushing that email feels to some people.

3 Likes

He was 100% fucking kids

I don’t think Avery Brooks hates anything. The interviews I’ve seen with him make him look the happiest dude on earth doing what he loves. I think he may be a great example of what to do with “fuck you” money.

3 Likes

Its not like the cost of living has skyrocketed in the 3.5 years since payments were paused, or like people adjusted their lifestyles and budgeting to not having monthly payments. I’m sure everything will be just fine harold.jpg

1 Like

It’s fucking ridiculous. My gf is doing her best not to freak out about it.

1 Like

Yeah Avery Brooks just seems to have moved on to other projects he likes, for sure he could have gotten regular TV work if he’d wanted to.

2 Likes

My only saving grace is that my federal loans are currently about 1/3rd of my total balance, so the added amount to what I’m already paying monthly won’t be that bad. At least that’s what I’m making myself believe.

1 Like

God I am so glad I paid off my loans early.

2 Likes

I don’t know where to put this, but a famous Harvard Business School professor has been accused of faking the results in some of her published papers. She’s been placed on unpaid administrative leave, and is now suing Harvard for $25 million. The story is pretty fascinating if you’re into academia and research and business school politics (there are dozens of us!).

Here’s the first of a four-part series of posts detailing the fraud accusations:

(These people are being sued, along with Harvard)

Here’s her lawsuit:

Having read the series of posts and the lawsuit, her defense seems ridiculous. Here’s one key part:

F2kd7ArXwAAXHVy

She’s blaming everything on the RAs! What kind of bullshit system is it where she gets all the credit for doing the work, but bears none of the responsibility for whether that work is accurate?

5 Likes

Sounds like the American dream to me?

4 Likes

Are you/they sure the prof is at fault and not the RA? If someone really wanted to fake results it’s going to be very easy to fool your thesis advisor.

Multiple papers across multiple RAs. At best, it’s reckless lack of oversight by the person responsible.

Really sucks for the RAs who got pressured into committing fraud, hopefully they rat her out and don’t get punished too heavily.

The Stanford president case is a higher profile example of this. Sanctimonious academics are worse than Trump.

1 Like

The power goes out pretty frequent here. Three times this morning there was a loud buzz and a light coming in through the windows as the power briefly came on and went off. If I went outside I could probably track down the arcing by the smell of ozone. Power company email says they’re on it but I have my doubts.

God I am so glad I went to school when tuition was $1k/semester. And it still took me until I was 38 to pay off my $10k in loans.

I take any empirical research in economics, finance or related disciplines with a high degree of skepticism. Even when the data aren’t outright fraudulent, there are plenty of ways to mistreat the data and generate spurious results. And good luck trying to replicate a result when many papers use proprietary data and there is no career incentive to do replication works. Serious replication attempts have a fairly high rate of revealing coding errors or data problems.

1 Like

It’s bullshit science in a bullshit field for a business school. Fuck em.

Just ban social psychology. Even if it weren’t suffused with fraud it would be useless.

Look at my cool data about honesty. Meanwhile Donald Trump is president. I call my paper, “How to treat a hangnail after being hit by a 10 ton meteor.”

2 Likes

So I found a rat in my house today, in a dark corner of my basement. It wasn’t moving but didn’t look dead so I wasn’t sure what was going on. Told my wife, called exterminators, finally got one who said she could send someone out today but wanted to know what they were dealing with. So she sent me back for a closer inspection of the rat, and it’s a toy. Lord only knows 1) why we have a realistic looking rat toy and 2) how I’ve never noticed it there before. In the dark corner it looked real as hell. Once this was revealed I took my wife to look at it and she was still terrified of it, wouldn’t touch it, and made me throw it away.

20 years of marriage and this sweet, trusting woman thinks I threw that rat toy away. That much faith is heartening, really. It’s rare in today’s world.

38 Likes