2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Wishing a joyous Canada Day to all who celebrate

3 Likes

The 450-square-foot dwelling on the 1300 block of East Main Street has a terrace that looks over the wash and a rooftop patio that sits next to a road bridge, separated only by a fence. It’s within walking distance of a Vietnamese restaurant and a hair salon but has no designated parking spot.

The no parking space thing is a deal breaker. I mean I’d still take it over renting. That rooftop patio looks nice. 450sq ft is larger than my bedroom. Guess I could get a job at the hair salon and only eat Vietnamese food and not have to drive anywhere.

There’s actually a ton of stuff within walking distance.

But, you’d be living under/attached to a bridge in Alhambra lol.

Still possibly the best $430K option in LA County.

1 Like

Is there a problem with living in Alhambra?

It’s fine, non-descript suburb. A lot of working class-ish Latinos and Asians.

ESPN lost almost a million households in first quarter of this year. They have lost 25 million households since 2013.

It’s only getting worse for them. They have a ton of money tied up in live sports and their grasp exceeds their reach. The bulk of their income comes from carriage fees not ads in live sports.

ESPN can’t compete for sports rights with streamers who are doing it as a loss leader and still stay in business given the ever marching death spiral of cable television.

They still have close to 75 million subscribers, but that is down from their peak of 75 million, that number is only going down and carriage fees are not matching the historical growth, like I noted a huge chunk of their revenue comes from non sports watchers just because they can essentially force carriage. However as their audience dwindles it becomes more likely cable breaks it out separately in order to raise their own revenue. That being said cable is losing users at a faster rate than ESPN, so we may never see that happen before it becomes irrelevant.

ESPN has to find a way to survive in a post cable world over the next twenty years. They are cutting back because of Disney but also because the goose is not as golden as it used to be.

2 Likes

Feel like this turned out to be a bit of a monkey’s paw tbh.

6 Likes

yeah the pic in the news story is really not giving you the whole picture. that pic makes it look like it’s quietly nestled in a peaceful little back neighborhood.

here it is:

and the streetview shows that your “rooftop” terrace is actually exactly at street level.

Las tunas is Spanish for the tunas.

5 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

Close to me today. Just insane video. Looks too crazy to be real but is.

8 Likes

ESPN already has found out a way to survive in the post streaming world. They remain the largest repository of content and, just as if not more importantly, the people who set what is important in sports media. They are still profitable.

they do. but there’s nothing to say they HAVE to be. something in the next 5-10 years is going to displace them.

Sure. But I said that 5-10 years ago and I was very, very wrong

1 Like

fair enough. the writing might have been on the wall then, too. i think technology/streaming/overall options are gonna catch up in the next 5-10.

pretty sure they’ll still be espn to us and the boomers, gen z is gonna want their own way to consume sports.

1 Like

ESPN already is a streamer and once their plan to have all their content be available as ala carte streaming goes into effect they will be battling Disney+ to have the second highest streaming revenue in the US behind Netflix.

Execution hasn’t always been the best but ESPN has been a trailblazer when it comes to all the forms of new media that have popped up since their inception.

you guys feel there is a need to network with sane people locally for any possible eventuality, or are you gonna keep it in the closet? lol

1 Like

Sun Tzu

feign a certain appeasement initially and identify the worst actors, then in greater number terminate with extreme prejudice

1 Like