2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

I don’t buy the reasoning, but do find it … problematic

Some ensign spots an anomaly on some data stream using top secret tech covering international waters a day before anyone ever knew about the sub. I doubt there’s anything like a direct line from the Navy to the Coast Guard in that situation. Probably has to move through 10 people, including lawyers, to review and assess. I’m more surprised they told them anything.

If Trump was president when this happened he would have either tweeted about the existence of a secret naval underwater explosion detection system 30 seconds after learning about it, or he would be ranting like a madmen about how we need to execute whoever leaked this information.

1 Like

I can’t believe people are mad at the Navy here, I don’t blame them at all for taking their sweet time letting us all know these dipshits got pancaked, presumably they have more important things to do like looking for Russian subs or whatever. This would for sure be at the bottom of my to-do list.

The Navy wouldn’t have known for sure it was the submersible. Really stupid for them to speculate when it’s possible they could still be alive.

guys you’re reacting to Laura Loomer

1 Like

Yea they knew pretty much right away that it had imploded.

Sure they would. If there’s a boom in that spot at the exact time the sub loses contact with the mothership then it’s the submersible.

Yeah, you’d expect they would continue the search anyway. Navy knew something had happened about 2 hours into the dive but OceanGate didn’t notify anyone there was a problem until 8 hours in. Navy did tell the search teams. Not clear exactly when that happened but I wouldn’t be surprised if they also got information that helped them locate debris as soon as they did.

People can manufacture a conspiracy theory out of anything. Elon of course got into it too. Surprisingly, he was smart enough to wait til after it was clear what happened. Normally no way he keeps his mouth shut about a story this big.

Edit: holy shit, just heard an explosion outside and power went out for a minute. I didn’t mean it, Elon!

1 Like
1 Like

Only one thing concerned me: He said he had gotten the carbon fiber used to make the Titan at a big discount from Boeing because it was past its shelf-life for use in airplanes.

I asked him if that weren’t a problem. He replied that those dates were set far before they had to be, and that Boeing and even NASA had participated in the design and testing of the Titan.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like it’s likely that NASA and Boeing participated in the design and testing of various components related to their use of the them, but had absolutely nothing to do with the actual submarine.

Reading part 3 - wtf that reporter is a moron. How does that give him any sense that care was being taken.

But each daunting-sounding task was balanced by a sense that care was being taken. When Rush was giving out assignments at the briefings, if a repair was complex, he would tell the people working on it to “do a stopski” for five minutes when they were done. That meant that, before they left the task, they should pause for five minutes and think about everything they did, make sure it was done correctly and confirm that they weren’t missing anything.

Read somewhere the last time an implosion happened it took years for the US to announce they heard it.

The tech in play here is nuclear deterrent level secrecy… which is going to get taken seriously unless it’s in trumps bathroom

1 Like

1 Like

NASA trivia: a number of carbon fiber solid rocket motors were built for the space shuttle. Those motors never flew. There just wasn’t sufficient confidence in their integrity to use them. Some were fired in horizontal static tests, I think. A few could still be sitting in bunkers about 60 miles north of here.

why would there be a rule you don’t do that with a submarine? what do those silly people know I know better than they do.

some people just gotta f around and find out the hard way

2 Likes

This is my dad to a T. Every new thing he buys he has to add something or change something because clearly the engineers didn’t have a clue. Luckily he never got into underwater exploration.

1 Like

Who knows how deep this conspiracy goes.

Some of the first edits to the OceanGate Wikipedia were by someone who works for OceanGate. We can't see them bc they were removed for being copyright violations. But we DO know that they included "comprised of" bc the "comprised of" crusader removed the phrase the next day pic.twitter.com/Mmfo3JssJ1

— depths of wikipedia (@depthsofwiki) June 22, 2023

Background for grammar nits and their opponents.

1 Like

Just searched my whole book for “comprised of”. Yay me.

5 Likes

Rush had received both an aerospace engineering degree and an MBA, and had once been a test-flight engineer with McDonnell Douglas. He urged anyone who was interested in his approach to read “The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right” by Atul Gawande [Metropolitan Books, 2009], which he left on a table in the ship’s lounge.

Lmao this great

“Let’s see here…. Expired Carbon Fiber? Check! Untested depth viewing hole? Check! Get rid of all knobs and button inside the sub? Check!”

2 Likes