2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Yeah, leaking that the Navy heard it is pretty big. My understanding of their detection grid is that it’s over by Iceland and nowhere near the site. You’re close to being able to say they can hear anything in the North Atlantic.

16 Likes

Any large implosion in the North Atlantic, which I’m guessing is a lot louder than an enemy sub trying to be stealthy.

This is a pretty extraordinary claim at 2:54 of this interview with Anderson Cooper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XIyin68vEE

I was also told, and I don’t have confirmation on this,
that they had they were on descent. There were a couple hundred meters above the sea floor and they dropped their weights. Now, the only way for the ship to know that they had dropped their ascent way [weights] to be an emergency aboard is if they had called that in, that they were they were ascending. So I, I believe now that they had some warning that they heard some acoustic signature of the hull beginning to laminate. An investigation will hopefully eventually show what did happen

There was a set of sensors onboard that was supposed to warn them of a potential failure of the carbon fiber structure. I recall some efforts to do this in a research setting but iirc it wasn’t particularly useful bc failures tended to be sudden, with little warning.

What does “laminate” mean in this context? Liquefy?

Sorry, I just copied from the transcript. He said ‘delaminate’. Carbon fiber filament is wound and bonded in layers. He’s just saying the layers/fibers came apart.

1 Like

I was under the impression that once there was the smallest failure the whole thing would implode instantly. I am the furthest thing from an expert on this stuff but intuitively that sounds right to me.

I’m not an expert either but if you look at the material and imagine it as a bunch of layers I could see how some of the outer layers could become stressed and begin to fracture and/or delaminate without compromising the integrity of the entire piece. At least for some period of time.

Obviously the pressure the container is subjected to is enormous but if you engineer it to withstand 2x or 3x that pressure (these figures are made up i don’t know how they design these) then monitoring for superficial cracking or delamination may give a little bit of a heads up. If there was some kind of gross failure though like a puncture in the tank wall then I think you’d see instantaneous failure.

Yeah the quoted time you’d have to respond to one of these warning sensors was seconds so it’s not much help when you’re 2 hours below the surface.

Here’s an example of a hydrostatic burst test of a composite cylinder. The cylinder is internally pressurized, which is a different situation from the submersible, but you can see how the filaments unwind/come apart. There’s basically no warning from when everything is fine to when it gives. With acoustic sensors/strain gages maybe you can get some indication but by then who knows if you can do anything.

At about 10 seconds:

1 Like

But there’s nothing wrong with it. Dude’s just an asshole You shouldn’t all of a sudden edit your book because of that nit.

But the correct use is “comprises [some stuff]” or “comprised [some stuff]”. And I am proud to say I have that multiple times. I even remember looking it up.

“ It turns up in Anthony Trollope, in Christopher Hitchens and Norman Mailer, in the essays of Lionel Trilling and Harold Bloom. Merriam-Webster is OK with it, and so are more than two-thirds of the eminent writers and editors on the American Heritage Dictionary’s usage panel, who aren’t generally a very a loosey-goosey crowd.”

So “at the time bananas comprised 2/3 of the country’s entire export output”

And “at the time 2/3 of the country’s entire export output was comprised of bananas”

Are both ok?

Alright I should get back to work, but Ima stick with Hitchens and Mailer.

I know with carbon fiber bike frames, once it gets tiniest crack or nick, you’re on borrowed time.

1 Like

I think it’s fine that they’re both ok. But I know for sure #1 is ok.

yeah, both seem fine. Not an either/or situation.

Carbon fiber is always the least cool video game character skin that’s supposed to be cool. It’s always just black or charcoal with slight color highlights.