2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

It probably is this yeah. Makes no sense to me but these are status addicts, no doubt.

If it was this, I mean, just go into the jungle in Peru and do ayahuasca or something. Cheap as hell, way more mind-blowing and carrying zero risk of horrific death at the bottom of the ocean.

Not the same cache in bragging to your rich friends.

Oh they’re special all right. Just not in a way that makes saving them a better use of resources than, say, expanding healthcare access.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s feeling they’re after, other than the smugness of being one of the first to see it and be able to boast about it at wanky dinner and cocktail parties and over meals at French Laundry.

1 Like

There aren’t any regulations for submersibles, all the certifications and safety assessments are voluntary and if they are regulated, it’s regulated by insurance. Which is why these guys could dive in an experimental submersible and all that happened previous to this was some more conservative divers being like bro this is a bad idea.

Imagine how much those eyes would go for at auction!

1 Like

Man, if Russia ever starts trying to use submersibles to carpet bomb Ukraine with Intervectim, the internet is gonna be so ready with takes.

2 Likes

The waste of resources on this is infuriating. Even the nonstop media coverage could be used shedding light on something that actually matters. This whole thing is so emblematic of late stage capitalism.

1 Like

It’s like summiting Everest, except with no work involved. And more of an illusion of safety.

I mean, obviously seeing an undersea wreck would be an amazing experience, it’s just that it clearly isn’t worth the high chance of dying an unimaginably horrible death.

This doesn’t seem crazy to me. The impetus for getting in the submersible is probably some mix of everything everyone has said, but in particular the fact that you could die is likely a key subconscious driver.

The “wasted resources” aren’t wasted – it’s the collective fear of death, of getting what you wanted all along.

The fascination with this is easy to understand. People are imagining: How would I feel, if I was down there counting the hours left? In a dark, smelly, confined space with a bunch of other people, waiting to die? Would I try and hold out hope, or let it go and pass with as much peace as could be located?

I mean, how DO you want to go? In your own bed, asleep? Struck by lightning, instantaneous and without fear? … the more I think about it, the more I want to see it coming. To experience death as closely, watchfully as possible. You only get one chance at it.

2 Likes

My guess St. Paul - size seemed right-ish, and I know there are vibrant communities of immigrants

This is not clear to me, honestly. Different strokes I guess. I don’t care that much about old buildings and suchlike. I’d rather look at mountains. That or something very human-level. One time I saw the ice pick that was used to kill Leon Trotsky, that stuck with me. The exhibits at Auschwitz. That kind of thing that connects me with history in a very immediate way. Seeing old ruins and stuff is cool but for me not really different seeing them in person compared to on TV.

2 Likes

You got a solid 30-second lol from me.

2 Likes

It is not clear if the debris field is connected to the missing submersible, but the Coast Guard said “experts within the unified command are evaluating the information.”

This is what drives alcoholics and drug addicts.

Same. Couldn’t pay me enough to go down there.

I agree that this submersible seems like a mediocre way to expereince an old shipwreck. However, it would be a genius way to fake your own death.

1 Like

So back to almost certainly imploded.

It’s way worse than that! Addiction is just the easy thing to spot.