2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

There have been some coyote sightings in my Bronx neighborhood (lol) this fall, and it somehow makes Nextdoor even more wonderous than normal.

I’m guessing this problem only gets worse.

An effect of climate change I haven’t seen discussed is stronger winds knocking over trash cans.

I know you guys are just joking around but I never really understood the chili dogma. Mom made it a variety of ways. She was probably just using what was at hand. Beans, meat, tomatoes, onions are fair game. I guess it could also have been that chilis or chili sauce got added to a lot of dishes or at least had to be available, idk. Anyway, I’m agnostic on the topic and Ragusea’s approach here seems fine.

1 Like

I would make that. Oxtail in chili would be cool too though.

I’m making some rn. Thawed out some leftover turkey. Just going to throw that in. Also a couple of pieces of bacon that have been sitting there a while. Whatever.

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1601276463977619456?s=46&t=qYG--DLSdQlFgQvhHA7L2g

2 Likes

The coyotes in Palos Verdes, that can range into my neighborhood in Redondo Beach on rare occasions, are a lot more skittish - and still mostly nocturnal afaik.

Texans are dogmatic about their chili because it’s a Tejano dish and it doesn’t traditionally include beans. It’s also a reaction to people outside of Texas with strong opinions who have never had an actual bowl of red, while just about everybody has had the ground beef and beans version. You can’t credibly make a claim that one form is superior to another if you’ve never tried that other version.

2 Likes

I can get like 20 hipster chicken sandwiches within a few miles of my house. And a bunch more fast food/casual dining chicken sandwiches.

But my only option for fish sandwich is basically McDonalds. Why? I can’t be the only one who craves a fish sandwich every now and then. Get on it hipster food truck chefs!

I predict that at some point in the next 5-10 years we’ll see a hipster fish sandwich surge, which will also cause the casual dining places to put one on the menu.

I didn’t exactly grow up with kids who would kill E.T. with hammers but considering letting a fucking coyote live after attacking a toddler is ridiculous

3 Likes

Ok I found a fish sandwich at Fishing with Dynamite in Manhattan Beach. Will try it and report back.

Hoo boy

6 Likes

Feels fake, but real maybe?

2 Likes

Does feel fake, but after that Facebook post where the woman melted down at her friends because they wouldn’t pay for her wedding I’ll believe anything.

1 Like

The Quakers have finally gone too far

They served peanut butter sandwiches (just white bread with peanut butter) with chili in school where I grew up. It was more of a soup and those sandwiches soaked up some of the delicious “broth” and it is delicious. I could see the interest in subbing a cinnamon roll there because the combination of sweet + spicy + savory would be pretty tasty. Thinking of something similar, surely someone has shoved a churro in a chili? If not, I’d like to claim that as my invention.

1 Like

Isn’t the hipster fish sandwich just fish tacos?

I buy salmon and halibut burger patties from my local fish shop. Fish burger is wonderful.

eta: no breaded crap

$22?

Ok but there were people eating it before there were any Tejanos around to make that claim. And idk what the recipe was but it apparently didn’t have beef as a main ingredient. The Spaniards added that:

In writings from 1529, the Franciscan friar Bernardino de SahagĂșn described chili pepper-seasoned stews being consumed in the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan, now the location of Mexico City. The use of beef as the primary meat originated with Spanish colonizers.

Maybe Texans want to claim they were the first to call a spicy stew chili? Maybe but that seems unlikely too, as the word comes from Nahuatl, a language spoken in central Mexico by descendents of the Aztecs. Those people have been eating stews spiced with chili peppers for a while.

If Texas wants to trademark their version and pass nativist laws to protect it, that’s fine. Call it Texas Chili or whatever. But chili is more generic. Anyway it’s more democratic that way.

3 Likes

For those wondering, Amy’s response was basically, “Yeah, you’re the asshole.”

The last sentence: “If you want the focus solely and exclusively on you, then get married in a small room, standing before a mirror.”

2 Likes