2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Nailed it

I like a good Bertrand Russell story.

… McTaggart was even shyer than I was. I heard a knock on my door one day… a very gentle knock. I said “come in” but nothing happened. I said “come in” louder. The door opened, and I saw McTaggart on the mat. He was already a president of the union, and about to become a fellow, and I was inspired and in awe on account of his metaphysical reputation, but he was too shy to come in, and I was too shy to ask him in. I cannot remember how many minutes this situation lasted, but somehow or other he was at last in the room. (Russell 1951, 88)

(John M. E. McTaggart (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy))

2 Likes

The more I read the more I learn. Another important philosopher of time is named A. Prior. Are you kidding me with this shit?

3 Likes

Free Will vs Nominative Determinism

1 Like

Here I thought this was the bassist for Jethro Tull

Not sure if anyone else is following this non-binary person who wrote “if I were a fish” that’s taken over social media but it’s single handedly restoring my faith in humanity and the idea the internet can be a place for good.

You can stream it now on most services. It’s a song that will warm your heart.

1 Like

Did you know the B in Benoit B Mandelbrot stands for “Benoit B Mandelbrot”?

7 Likes

Whats that other B stand for?

https://twitter.com/Doug_Tilley/status/1650517041797910530?t=tksAEvTpIkaJimerbl6WlA&s=19

https://twitter.com/stringsandink/status/1650839423154626560?t=brDdp1ofXdySyaejW1TqEQ&s=19

4 Likes

It’s Benoit B Mandelbrots all the way down

1 Like

Gerald Fish
Harold N. Chips
Oliver T’ally Oh
Henry Innit

1 Like

It stands for “Benoit B Mandelbrot”

Jeeze, I teed you right up.

1 Like

Liv Boeree has like a boyfriend who is buddies with Elon and she is in the thrall of his sophomoric philosophical musings.

In 2021, Congressional Democrats pushed a child care bill that would have given states money to set up child care subsidies for their residents. Under the rules of the program, kids would only be eligible for the program if their parents were engaged in one of the following activities:

1. Full-time or part-time employment.
  2. Self-employment.
  3. Job search activities.
  4. Job training.
  5. Education.
  6. Work-limiting health treatment.
  7. Activities to prevent child abuse, neglect, or family violence.
  8. Work or training activities related to SNAP or TANF requirements.
  9. Taking leave under the FMLA or a paid leave program.

At the time, the Congressional Research Service concluded that this activity test would render around 1 in 20 children ineligible for benefits. I criticized the activity test for the impact it would have on many of the nation’s most vulnerable kids and their families.

Earlier this week, David Dayen of The American Prospect reported that the new child care bill, which is supposed to be introduced later this week, has made some changes to the activity test. Under the new rules, kids with parents who fail to meet the activity test will still be eligible for benefits provided they meet one of the following requirements:

1. They are homeless.
  2. They have a disability.
  3. They are in foster or kinship care.
  4. They are in child protective services.
  5. Their family receives SNAP, WIC, or TANF.
  6. Their guardian is elderly.
  7. Their parent is employed by a child care provider.

On its face, this seems like a good thing. The old activity test would have ended up excluding many of these kids from benefits and the new one now has a list of exceptions for them. It looks like the individuals responsible for the bill read the criticisms I and others made and tried to address them by making one-off carveouts for the various sympathetic examples of kids who will get dinged by the activity test.

But with these seven exceptions now added to the activity test, it actually becomes even harder to understand why they are insisting on having an activity test at all. Recall from above that the initial activity test excluded about 5 percent of kids. With the exceptions now added to it, the activity test will exclude perhaps 1 percent of kids.

Why are we making 100 percent of kids prove that their parents meet an activity test in order to exclude 1 percent of them?

2 Likes

Every time Liv Boeree’s name comes up anywhere, I think about Liv Tyler. And it just makes me angry that the garbage woman Boeree shares her name with such a great, great woman. :rage:

3 Likes

neat

Manila sounds terrible

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/1651188232250376197

2 Likes

I knew a single mom who was on food stamps, welfare, section 8. Just keeping all that stuff flowing was basically a full time job.

She was constantly having to go down to the welfare office or sit on the phone for hours because something got shut off with no warning, for some obscure bureaucratic reason. Making it obscure and hard to obtain seems to be a feature.

1 Like