2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Is there a way to bet on Crumble’s demise (or, at least, strong contraction) within, say, 5 years?

They are the Krispy Kreme of cookies imo. I like a desert with some heft to it.

Hmm…maybe I had a different cookie? I’m pretty sure it was Crumbl (someone else bought them - I didn’t go to the store). I remember it being a heavy, dense cookie.

Well then this Wiki will take you from 6 to midnight:

6 Likes

I tried them during the pandemic. Somebody bought a variety pack. Perhaps I chose poorly.

“I’m in love with this shake, but I’m uncomfortable with the price point. What if you outsource your labor to China? Any way you could get these down to $15?”

“We’ve tried everything - the ice cream simply cannot handle overseas shipping. It melts.”

“I wish you the best, but I’m out.”

9 Likes

https://twitter.com/ifindkarma/status/1602561824028762112

ONE HUNDRED TRILLION EVERY SECOND

2 Likes

21 Likes

Think of all the children Liv is condemning to non-existence by refusing to sleep with me. Our children and our children’s children and so on down the generations. Every second that we are not having sex is killing billions of future children.

6 Likes

Me: Which view of time (presentism, eternalism, or possiblism) is most consistent with the philosophy of longtermism?

ChatGPT: [Blah, blah…] Longtermism is most consistent with eternalism, as it emphasizes the importance of considering the long-term future as equally real and important as the present moment. Longtermism suggests that our decisions should be based on the potential impact they have on future generations, and that we should strive to create a positive future for all. This aligns with the view of eternalism, which holds that the future is just as real as the present and the past, and that we should take into account the potential impact of our actions on all points in time.

Me: Is free will possible in the eternalist view of time?

ChatGPT: [Blah, blah, no.] However, some philosophers have proposed alternative views of free will that are compatible with the eternalist view of time. One such view is called “open future” or “growing block” theory. According to this view, the future does not yet exist, and events in the future are not predetermined. Instead, the future is constantly being created as time progresses, and our choices and actions help to shape this future. In this way, free will can be seen as a real and meaningful concept, even in the context of eternalism.

Me: IDK, growing block theory sounds like bullshit.

1 Like

Of course it believes that. That’s how it lives it’s life, one token up next at a time.

1 Like

Eternalism kinda makes sense, although time really doesn’t make sense any way you think about it.

1 Like

What does chat GPT think about average utility vs. total utility?

It adds context then shrugs.

Ultimately, the question of whether to prioritize the average or total utility of future individuals is a complex and ongoing topic of debate, and the answer may depend on specific ethical and practical considerations in each context.

8 Likes

Agree on eternalism. Time is simple if you don’t think about it too much and just insist it’s a coordinate on spacetime, nothing more.

3 Likes

Liv has quite the twitter feed.

Was the “Astronomical Waste” tweet deleted? Link isn’t working for me. I assume she’s talking about the Nick Bostrom paper from 2003?

One of the seminal philosophers of time is J. M. E. McTaggart. the “M” also stands for McTaggart. I can see how that state of affairs might lead one to fixate on the nature of time.