2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

One of the huggers is asking ChatGPT for hugging advice. California is dystopian.

I followed that twitter thread and saw an ad for this:

Pretty cool.

1 Like

That was my thing. Who is giving little kids popcorn let alone popcorn on an airplane.

2 Likes

That only applies to first borns.

2 Likes

Don’t these assholes have nannies to pick up popcorn?

Reminds me of being 16 and working as a busboy at a local steakhouse in the 90s. The waitstaff insisted on giving a bowl of dry Cheerios to every baby or toddler who sat in booster seats. Oh they love it! What fun! Look at them chew it and let it all fall out of their mouths! That nasty infant epoxy of smashed, powdered Cheerios and kid saliva (which obviously ended up tossed on the floor and heeled into the restaurant carpet by passers-by) added a good 5-10 minutes to turning the table. I obv hated that but I just dutifully cleaned it up, driving home in a '73 Saab thinking oh boy all this hard work will pay off one day, LOL! Goddamnit now I vaguely remember hope and optimism, foreign concepts in my 40s.

6 Likes

Combining the dry Cheerios with the choking hazard threads, there was one point at which I would break Cheerios in half so they wouldn’t be a choking hazard for my first born. Second born was toughened up by having to eat whole Cheerios straight off.

2 Likes

I respect the pluck

https://twitter.com/SportNoContext/status/1647619949811191809

https://twitter.com/yoo4y/status/1647885607270764544

5 Likes

Because of an irresponsible mom who needs SOMEONE SOMEWHERE to stand up to her. Social media has declared flight attendant the hero of this story, I assume

1 Like

I just assume everyone is terrible in these spots

1 Like

that mlb pitchers social media posts hits one of my irrational(maybe) rants about how having children isn’t some selfless sacrifice you make for the world that needs to be shown some type of deference. you wanted more of yourself in the world, i dont need to thank you or salute you for that. while raising children is a self chosen “sacrifice” for your own genetic line it has nothing to do with me.

clean up after your own children. flight attendants aren’t your personal maids.

7 Likes

My wife gives my 3 year old popcorn. She has to eat one piece at a time. It’s a fight I lost and just let it go. Preschool even allows popcorn as a snack.

Probably not the first flight where this happened. I’d eat that popcorn off the floor if it made my toddlers quiet for the entire flight.

Obviously you could do without any one specific child but it would be quite bad if there were literally no more children born, no?

And if the parent was like, “this kid was actually adopted” would you then feel differently?

1 Like

I bet Mrs. Bass doesn’t give her kids messy snacks on airplanes again.

i dont know. it might be quite a boon for the rest of my life individually… societally i think we should take care of children in the macro sense, free education, free school lunches, free healthcare, free childcare, tax breaks for parents. society is obviously benefitted by having a healthy and educated population. i just dont see the “sacrifice” angle that as if society should be grateful for their service.

in the case of adoption, i wouldn’t feel different in that specific social media post situation. pick up after the damn kids. but in general, yes, adoption is more of a sacrifice worthy of praise from society as a whole. that child is already here in society and needs help. however i’m most likely biased in all of these opinions, because i was adopted and raised by two great people.

2 Likes

Assuming you aren’t already super old, even for you individually, your nursing home/end of life care costs would be astronomical to the point of absurdity/infeasibility under the no more children scenario.

Philosophically I agree that adopting is way more selfless than having your own child…. but then you look into the reality of adopting and see how insanely competitive it is these days. Then it’s more murky, i.e. there is an argument you are “taking” a kid that someone else, who may not be able to have kids, desperately wants when you may be able to have them.

And when you see people going crazy trying to adopt a kid that tells you that having kids is about more than just selfishly wanting to put more of yourself in the world.

1 Like

You don’t sympathize or help the pregnant woman with two small children because she made some great sacrifice for humanity by having children, you do it because she’s a person in need (being humiliated here if ‘person in need’ wasn’t enough for you) who you can very easily help.

New Contrapoints just dropped

2 Likes