2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1647349439265140741?t=WLOXDe5pdyzeWvj8MDCkvw&s=19

What does that even mean? Report to whom? It’s not like a student can’t report a professor for this right now. Hopefully, the person receiving said report will laugh at them and that will be the end of it. What does the law change?

1 Like

This was always the logical endpoint of the we can’t teach anything too divisive.

Republican officials in Louisiana are proposing a ban on teaching about racism at the state’s higher education institutions — the latest move amid a wave of legislation across the country aimed at legislating curriculum in the nation’s classrooms.

GOP Party officials in the state want Louisiana lawmakers to prohibit the study of racism at colleges and universities, claiming the “inglorious aspects” of American history are too divisive, according to NOLA.com, which cites a GOP resolution on the matter.

Also lol

The outlet reported that the resolution passed by voice vote at the state party’s quarterly meeting in Baton Rouge, which was the southern city that had the first bus boycott in 1953 to protest segregation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/republican-state-officials-in-louisiana-ask-lawmakers-to-ban-the-study-of-racism-at-universities-citing-divisive-inglorious-aspects-of-us-history/ar-AA19VjfV?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7c14d08c3db449e892b02114c8fced95&ei=10

1 Like

Looks like we’re probably halfway to book burning.

One of the banned topics:

• That Tennessee or the U.S. is fundamentally or irredeemably racist or sexist

Also

The bill would also specifically require universities to allow any guest speaker on campus regardless of “non-violent political ideology” or “non-violent political party affiliation.”

1 Like

It’s a slippery slope.

Maybe you shouldn’t have seceded then.

1 Like

The Gestapo, I assume.

The school itself. It requires the school to review these reports.

If a student reports a professor and the state end up determining that this law was violated, they can win the prize of the state withholding funds for their school.

This law raises a number of questions that this law prevents me from asking.

4 Likes

The history of these kinds of laws has always been that it’s easier to get it passed like this. Less resistance. Notice there’s no professors striking or anything. Down the road, you just change who the reporting goes to. The law was already there, so calm down, people

It’s a cousin of the Sartre quote about antisemites

https://twitter.com/AnthonyBass52/status/1647632911720390664

Today’s star of twitter.

1 Like

Not sure what to make of it.

But what I do know for sure is that posting this on social media was a horrible idea.

Really, using social media in general is a terrible idea.

3 Likes

Nailed it

Nonsense

Pregnant with two small children? Every able person sitting nearby who didn’t immediately start picking the popcorn up for the woman is awful. I can’t imagine sitting there and not helping and watching a pregnant woman get down on her knees and do that.

3 Likes

Nope. She chose to carry the pregnancy. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I don’t owe her anything.

/reddit

2 Likes

You yell at the 5-year-old to pick it up, obv.

4 Likes

Why did a 2 year old have that much popcorn unsupervised?

2 Likes

American Academy of Pediatrics says no popcorn under age of 4 because it’s a choking hazard.

1 Like

What am I missing here? Two people hugging?